1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 8

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Rachel Maddow has been very good on Trump generally and Russian particular (although you do have to put up with her somewhat breathless style)

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

given all her gestures, it's hard not to notice that she has bigger hands (definitely much longer fingers) than donalf trump.

in terms of her reporting, i find that has has become very establishment over time, or maybe i have become a lot less establishment. i've noted a few people making this observation lately. she's also making some far-fetched claims/insinuations in that segment (which i actually watched yesterday) -- i suppose we shall see if there is any vindication in the next few weeks/months.

vuk.

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

trump is not a populist

good article here:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/exposed-donald-trumps-sham-populism

vuk.

4. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Trump is trapped. He either goes with what Congress will give him, which so far is a plan that will cover fewer people and cost more. The base will be enraged (when they figure out that's what they are getting). Or else he does nothing, and the base will be enraged because he said he'd replace the awful (it is awful, right?) Obamacare.

5. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

I'd take serious issue with the "far fetched claims part", Rach does her homework and tends to ask the right people, that's called good journalism. If you watch just one of her videos it might seem a bit out there however, I watch her regularly and she has been constructing a whole narrative that not only makes sense, it also fits most of what is known. I'd give her extra brownie points for not actually mentioning the elephant in the room namely, it really does look like Drumpf has been in Putin's back pocket for over a decade and that, the GOP was willing and even complicit in some cases, because of the financial benefits on offer by sucking up to Putin.

6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Mostly what people really mean by that is they no longer agree with her. It's just a slightly more polite way of saying "fake news", "mainstream media" or, once you are actually in power, "deep state".

As regards whether she is right or not. I think it's been very clear for some time that Trump is corrupt and and compromised by the Russians and should not be President. The only people who don't see this are the true believer alt-right and the radical left. Even the mainstream Republicans are only pretending they don't know this for short term political reasons.

I repeat again Frum's point: there are plenty of secrets here but no real mystery and we are very much at the if it walks like a duck and quacks then... stage.

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i can't speak for others, but i am not saying that i don't agree with her. what i am saying is that i've grown disappointed with her focus and her failure to delve into more systemic problems: she continues to analyze mainly at the the political layer. there is rarely any contemplation of society or underlying flaws. she is a very intelligent woman and, i suspect, in a different news organization, would have a lot more to say that's interesting to me.

to contrast with her approach, here is a fairly recent segment by her fellow journalist, chris hedges:

if that's too radical for you, how about bill moyers interviewing that blogger guy who keeps stealing your ideas:

vuk.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Rather, he wishes she was as hot as Ivanka.

10. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Is the CIA going after Trump by hacking his Twitter account and portraying a caricature of the golden fleeced lunatic himself?

11. claire.foxx

claire.foxx ⚢ Punk princess in a pretty party dress

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i thought -- and i imagine we all thought, including the GOP -- that it was all over for him when that video came out. it really does boggle the mind, in particular getting anything above 20% of the female vote.

vuk.

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

in this case, it was me (with help of russian friend).

vuk.

14. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Trump appeals as an authoritarian leader to authoritarian personalities. Such people are fine with the big guy acting by 'caveman rules.' There's his 30% base.

He picked up another almost-20% mostly because Obama and Hillary are so hated in the heartland, and other we-want-our-country-back sentiment.

Apologies to cavemen for the above....

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

16. claire.foxx

claire.foxx ⚢ Punk princess in a pretty party dress

Trump using a Microwave?
    how gauche!

17. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

He's asked for tenders to go out for ones that'll seat 12 Mexicans at a time.

18. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^ I thought the Microwave claim captured the essence of kellyanne Conway perfectly.

19. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I still can't fathom quite how Conway got to be a senior advisor to Trump given she hardly meets any of his qualifying criteria, except for being completely daft.

20. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

[​IMG]

It's plausible.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.