1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Two New Zealand women fined by another country for calling for its boycott.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

“This decision makes it clear that anyone who calls for a boycott against the State of Israel could find themselves liable for damages and need to pay compensation to those hurt by the boycott call, if they’re in Israel or outside it.

Asked how the court intended to enforce its ruling, Darshan-Leitner said that Israel and New Zealand have legal agreements that will allow the court to pursue the damages.

“We will enforce this ruling in New Zealand, and go after their bank accounts until it has been fully realized”.

Full article-
    https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/New...-pay-damages-over-Lorde-Israel-boycott-569194

2. maxflinn

maxflinn In Moscow For Debriefing.

The extreme right-wing government of this country is actively working, via its numerous lobby groups like Labour Friends Of Israel, and the immensely powerful AIPAC in the US to make this kind of thing a reality in the US, UK, France and many other countries.

Of course the same lobby groups and their lackey politicians go into overdrive trying to defend Israel's routine murder of innocent Palestinian civilians too, including the many children murdered.

Any social media arena with more than 5000 members - like this forum - will be populated with at least a few people devoted to defending said crimes too, as some here will this ruling in New Zealand. Cue talk of Hamas, Iran etc...

All of this is necessary when you indulge in modern-day colonialism, and its inherent brutality, it seems.

I guess South Africa didn't possess such power...or maybe being called a white South African hater didn't have the same implications nor elicit the same emotions as.....

3. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Without getting into the politics of this, surely artists will simply not schedule Israel when tours are being planned - it will be to the loss of Israel's more liberal minded music fans?

4. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Surely if an artist cancels their concerts in Israel ultimately on the basis of the behaviour of the state of Israel, then the state of Israel is the culprit. They should sue themselves.

CraShWilliams likes this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m afraid we are entering a new era of authoritarian governments stamping on any form of dissent. Turkey has openly claimed that Saudi Arabia tortured, murdered and dismembered Jamal Khashoggi inside its Turkish consulate. Turkey itself has imprisoned thousands of its own citizens and sacked thousands of teachers, policemen, and other public servants in its crack down on opposition. Which regime next will introduce laws to silence citizens of other countries?

timola likes this.
  6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

And it looks like Scotland are leading the boycott from the front with a non-performance against Israel last night!

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

New Zealand has, or appears to have, one of the more progressive and sensible governments in the West, at the moment, and their prime minister seems a remarkable woman. I rather hope they tell Israel to do one.

8. omers

omers pfm Member

This is such a stupid mouth-shutting ruling. I also don't see how it gets enforced. NZ, before complying with some agreement and fining these women, will surely cancel these agreements, they have their priorities right.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Most countries only exercise reciprocal legal recognition where something is also illegal in that country. I doubt NZ has an equivalent to Israel’s ‘anti boycott’ law (because it isn’t stupid or authoritarian enough to want one) so I’d hope this just dies a quick death and gets knocked back by NZ.

10. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

It's not about getting it enforced or compensation, Israel will threaten and pressure anyone who challenges or questions their policies.

This is nothing more than propaganda or Israel sending a message to the world once again of "don't mess with us"

timola likes this.
  11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I’m inclined to agree, just one more example of Israel making an arse of itself on the world stage.

12. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

Strange case; basically this is individuals from one country suing individuals in another country.

If I had the means I'd be happy to support the NZers in considering a variety of counter claims through the NZ legal system perhaps in response to emotional stress over Israel's border policies and military conduct. I'm sure it would be quite feasible to claim a fairly sizeable loss on the basis that you had to give up a normal life to become an activist in response to another states activities.

13. Jason P

Jason P pfm Member

Yes... but. The one thing that makes this a step towards authoritarian rule is the law that Israel passed to enable that suing to take place. Without it, no case to answer. It's introduction, and now use, is IMHO a very dark and cynical ploy. Go after the individuals - so I can say 'boycott Israel' and someone agrees, boycotts, and then ANYONE can take offence and sue. And, being as this is an Israeli law tried in their courts (in this case with no input from the defendants) I can't see many cases being dismissed. Thin end of a very thick and nasty wedge.

14. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

I agree Jason, the decision to enable such cases to take place is the point - New Zealanders seem like fairly pragmatic and sensible people so let's hope they decide not to recognise the validity of this case and decision.

15. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

It is part of an increasingly world wide phenomenon,, and it reminds me of no more than good old Henry VIII approach to anything even resembling dissent. Label anything and anybody 'treasonous' with of course the added advantage of being the arbiter of what exactly constitutes 'treason'.
    Trump is at the same thing with 'fake news' and his attempts to pack the judiciary with 'yes men'.
    Putin just denies everything, like a schoolboy who, caught in the act, will continue to say "It wasn't me!"
    Iran, Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia et. al. are all very nasty states controlled by very nasty people and in the case of Israel and Saudi, seemingly untouchable by the west for economic/strategic reasons. It is quite sickening.

It's a bit more subtle in the UK, but we all know that the BBC exerts its biased view of UK politics more by omission and selective emphasis than by outright lies.

Of course other versions of the 'treason' gambit, are employed by various players who use their 'religious' 'faith', as a sheild to defend them from POLITICAL criticism. ( 'Blasphemy', 'Insulting the Prophet', 'Anti Semitism' etc.), and in some cases a weapon to attack their critics, or in the case of blasphemy allegations in for e.g. Pakistan.. simply to settle scores or injure others.

It is becoming a very dangerous world.

Rob998 likes this.
  16. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

More to the point, let's hope the publicity around the case persuades even more tourists to avoid Israel until its government changes.

17. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

They weren't, lol

MVJ likes this.
  18. timola

timola pfm Member

Cleverly worded thread title. I wonder if it can stay below the radar long.

richgilb likes this.
  19. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

That will depend on the contributors and their content regarding the state that shall remain unnameable lest it waxes litigious.

20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Couldn't agree more with this.

Was it Mark Twain who said "a lie is halfway around the world before the truth gets his pants on"?

It seems to be an accepted tactic nowadays to repeat a lie as many times as required to make people believe it's true.

On a personal note, I was really offended (I'm not a man easily offended) recently when a member of this forum accused me of being anti-Semitic. Not a shred of evidence to make such a claim and not a grain of truth in it but he made the accusation and refused to apologise.

Israel's strategy is very clear. They won't accept any criticism at all and will attack those who dare to do so with the same vigour as the persecute Palestinians.