1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Election 2015 (part II)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cooky1257, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

A win-win surely.

Paul

2. Howdy

Howdy pfm Member

Haven't been through the whole thread and I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but this made me giggle

[​IMG]

3. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

I agree.
    I retire 6 weeks today and by rights I should want to carry on for another 5 or 6 years.

4. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Lucky you. I have seven years to go, not that I'm counting or anything.

5. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Which, as I intimated, is what let the Tories in. Labour actually had a bigger increase in their percentage share of the vote this year (+1.5%) than the Tories (+0.8%). Many of these lost LD votes (-15.2%) went to Labour in LD/Tory marginals.

The UKIP were useless at splitting the right wing vote when it came to it.

Stephen

6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

So do I. It's called London and think we should go for Independence like the Scots and leave all those provincial towns to the dystopian nightmare they seemingly want.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That would be very amusing to watch.

8. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

I would have pegged you at 50 or thereabouts rather than late 50's earlier 60's - live and learn.

Jason

9. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Unless he's planning to retire early. I'm 47 and seriously considering retiring when I get to 50.

10. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

Good point - chance would be a fine thing, I'll be working till I'm in a box.
    The ridiculous underperformance of all my contributory pensionsguarantees that. I realy hope somebody is going to get sued for all the bad pensions advice and "predictions" of performance that has been handed around over the years.
    This is the sort of issues the politicians are totally incapable of contributing to as it is far to long term for them.

Jason

11. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Easy solution to the cash for the NHS then.

We don't actually have to have another referendum on Scottish independence. Dave can just use his new majority to pass an act to devolve Scotland (ironically immediately increasing his majority) and get the £14.6Bn a year back which can be used to fund the NHS is England and Wales - which will need less than 8bn as it won't have to pay for Scotland. Everyone can have a new MRI as well.

We can then have fun watching S&S in Scotland choose between more taxes or less services - especially as things like central banks, financial watchdogs, armed forces etc will need setting up and funding mostly from scratch up there.

12. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I've only just realised that my London seat has bucked the trend and gone from Tory to Labour.

13. DNM

DNM pfm Member

Funny stuff. In 2005 Labour commanded a Parliamentary majority with only 35% of the popular vote. Were you concerned about legitimacy then?

14. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

He probably was. He's a one issue (PR) voter.

15. Mark EJ

Mark EJ pfm Member

Well, the referendum was framed in such as way as to achieve the result which it did. The AV proposal was clearly chosen as the most complex and hardest to explain alternative, so was doomed to fail. Coalition commitment honoured, box ticked, nothing changed, move on.

Classic Cameron -- and this is precisely the way he'll deal with any EU referendum, so we have fair warning.

16. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Anyone remember who was party leader the last time the Liberals only had 8 seats? Jeremy Thorpe? Joe Grimmond?

17. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

We'll be seeing that during the next 5 years in the UK for sure.

Groundhog Day.

Money is not the be all and end all.

18. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Probably not a specific reason for voting tory but regardless, a tory vote is for a party that does not support the notion of the NHS.

19. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Any politician would be well-advised to avoid destroying the NHS as it would be the end of their career, right there. They all know this, and so it limps on.

In Cameron's case, he had a son who died very young. That's not something he will ever forget.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, very much so. Until yesterday and with one blip in 1997 I've always been a LibDem voter, and I've been a LibDem voter because I believe in PR.

PS I suspect many will recall I am anything but a Labour apologist, in fact in 2005 I was spending my time here arguing Blair should be tried in the Hague for war crimes. A view I still hold. However I did this time vote for my local Labour MP, Simon Danczuk, though purely because he seems a decent bloke and in recognition of the essential work he is doing in uncovering the institutional pedophilia that appears to have been rife in Westminster. Few people have such a useful MP and IMO one should go against tribal loyalties to support such people. FWIW I'd also have voted for Zac Goldsmith and I utterly detest Tories! More even than Labour!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.