1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK public to applaud NHS staff at 8 p.m.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

Don't forget!

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

‘...the Clap For Our Carers campaign...’

Would it have taken too much effort to come up with a better name?

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I’m not sure whether NHS carers would prefer to be given the clap, or Coronavirus.

Gaycha and mandryka like this.
  6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Isn’t this a bit Raymond Briggs?

7. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I suspect most would prefer proper PPE.

8. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

^^^^ Beat me to it.

What a patronising and stupid fvcking media idea.

9. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Best to ask NHS employees what they thought if you ask me

Bloss

Gaycha, sean99 and Seeker_UK like this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

A rather condescending attitude to an attempt to show appreciation for the efforts of so many underpaid people.

11. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Strange one this, clapping for the carers thing.

Personally speaking, it is an exercise in giving those who have no role in 'caring' a means of being involved.

Or, it is a way of bringing the country together.

It feels a little bit like Mother's Day (Hallmark Day) - something created for those who maybe like photos of kittens?

I shall be interested to speak to my daughter about this, and other nurses / medics. In private, of course, it is one if those subjects were one could be easily labelled a sour grape...

12. bigjonny

bigjonny pfm Member

I just asked my wife, “ doesn’t do any harm does it, just doing your job aren’t you “. She also said I don’t need to clap her.

Big Tabs likes this.
  13. blossomchris

Yeah right on must be not required if 1 out of 1.3 million says we do not need this. Silly me.

Bloss

14. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I'll probably feel embarassed but I'll do it. It's so easy to be cynical, but what will it cost? And it seems it's the usual miserable sods on here who don't like it.

Gaycha, Fatmarley and flapland like this.
  15. blossomchris

Look at like this they are functioning without full ppe, I really do not understand people on here putting politics to the front when it is all too late. Sure the nhs has been savagely cut, but al least support those who are taking a huge risk doing their job.

Bloss

sean99, twotone, Gromit and 1 other person like this.
  16. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Seeker,

I like crypsis as much as the next guy, but I agree a more informative thread title is appropriate.

Joe

Edit: Forgot about the time zone difference. It's 3:15 p.m. here.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  17. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I might be a sod, but I ain't miserable.

I am a ray of sunshine x.

18. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

Problem is, you might have to have a conversation with a neighbour you don't want to have a conversation with.

So i will be clapping indoors.

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Not sure about the UK, but local hospitals where I live in Canada have put out a plea to universities and colleges to donate any spare protective equipment — gloves, masks, gowns, etc. They are also asking for cash donations, so they have funds available to buy what they need.

I've never seen anything like this pandemic in my lifetime. If you can spare a few bobs, please see if your local hospital has set up such a page for donations.

Joe

20. blossomchris

What like mentioning star trek ffs, coming to the end of my time on here, finding life far more tolerable elsewhere.
    Mind you have me on ignore, for an unknown reason to me so not expecting a reply.

Bloss