1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK public to applaud NHS staff at 8 p.m.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. I work at a London University and we have given the lot away.

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Bloss,

I don't have you on ignore and I honestly don't know what your comment is about. We've never had a harsh exchange about anything in the past, so this has blindsided me.

I've been swamped lately like many of us, but I had a bit of time this afternoon and I needed a break, so I popped on the forum for a bit. I saw the thread and that the title was perhaps a bit unclear so I edited it.

Joe

3. Joe P

window-licker,

Glad to hear that. The School of Pharmacy at my university did something similar. We're shut down, so no one here needs personal protection equipment for experiments or teaching. And even if we did, it's desperately needed at the local hospital.

Joe

window-licker-65 likes this.
  4. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but why worry about the title, those who are going to do this are aware.

Bloss

5. we have technicians in pharmacy making hand sanitizer and techs in engineering 3d printing face visors

6. Joe P

Bloss,

Sorry, I simply popped on the thread and saw that the title perhaps wasn't clear. I edited it, then realized that I was too late as I'm in Canada and 8 p.m. your time had already gone by.

I'm dealing with a lot of things right now, as are many of us, and last thing I want to do is piss people off or create harsh feelings. We need to pull together to get through this.

Joe

twotone and deebster like this.
  7. Joe P

window-licker,

That's an excellent idea. I no longer work at the School of Pharmacy but I have contacts there. I'll pass this on. They have a compounding lab so making hand sanitizer ought to be easy-peasy.

Joe

8. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Instead of going to partake in nhs clap, give yourselves a slap if you voted for a tory government whose destroyed the nhs and social care infrastructure in the uk over the last ten years.

If you want to show appreciation for nhs staff Stay indoors, and stop emptying the shelves at your supermarket.

9. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

If we could only take the same time to put our names to petitions creating such public pressure to force HMG to pay them not only what they deserve, but to equip them properly for their own safety. I imagine that would be more popular in the them.

Whoever came up with the original idea in (was it?) Spain or Italy, was a lovely person.

sq225917 likes this.
  10. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Its not a UK media idea....its been going on in Strasbourg for about a week now. 8pm every night.

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Standing on the patio.
    Not much virtue signalling going on round here.

12. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Just been out and could hear people clapping and car horns beeping in the distance, we're quite rural

waxkinglyrical likes this.
  13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Big turn out in our street.
    Solid Labour round here before anyone starts.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Just happened here, very moving moment.

twotone, blossomchris and doctorf like this.
  15. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

I actually heard something!!! In deepest Toryville no less. Now I understand why the Prosecco had run out at Sainsburys. Now can we do something for these people and get them the money they deserve?

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Well, that had a far greater emotional effect on me than I was expecting.

Deepest Suffolk.

17. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

We stood in our passageway and clapped
    and waved to our neighbours.
    There were some yells, too.

twotone and Tony Lockhart like this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Didn’t notice anyone doing it here (I just looked through my window, I’m not going outside!). The BBC were showing footage of a street somewhere with everyone outside and not social isolating. I’m all for showing support for the NHS (ideally with adequate funding, wages, PPE, ventilators etc) but I’m buggered if I’d go outside right now and give them even more work by standing too close to neighbours etc!

sq225917 and Tony Lockhart like this.
  19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

All our neighbours gathered in their front porches, clapping. Quite emotional.

twotone and Tony Lockhart like this.
  20. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Yes it's nice....8 days into it here though and it is beginning to lose a teensy bit of its charm. Not sure how much longer it will last but the noise seems consistent each night.

Tony Lockhart likes this.