1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK public to applaud NHS staff at 8 p.m.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

We're hanging out our apartment windows here. Where there's a will....

Paulicus and Tony Lockhart like this.
  2. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Loads of clapping, honking horns and fireworks in inner city Leeds.
    Even I felt proud to be part of it.

3. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

As above and noisy on Wirral

BJP and Tony Lockhart like this.
  4. loads on our London road.....we also waited for our nurse neighbour but one for extra applause......she burst into tears......

Fatmarley, doctorf, Paulicus and 4 others like this.
  5. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Quite a few people out round here. My daughter has just qualified as a doctor and my other daughter is training to be a nurse. The NHS needs all the help they can get and if getting people to applaud makes a few people sit up and take notice then it's worth it. Well done everyone who has taken part and don't stop at applauding. Help NHS staff in your area any way you can from putting their bins out on bin day to getting them shopping when they're doing 16 hour shifts.

jackbarron, Covkxw, Fatmarley and 7 others like this.
  6. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

This post should be a headline

Bloss

7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Didn't hear anything here, but then it's Tory land so all the shits are probably keeping their heads down.

Fatmarley and Tony Lockhart like this.
  8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Doc,

I have the utmost respect for healthcare professionals. My sincerest thanks for what you're doing and appreciation for the sacrifice you're making. :)

Honks and clapping from across the pond.

Joe

9. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I participated, but for me, it is not just about the NHS staff! Sure the NHS staff are doing a great job in difficult circumstances, but there are so many more contributing too - retail workers, postmen, public transport drivers, delivery drivers, farm workers etc. etc. We need to recognise them all. I agree with the sentiment though.

Fatmarley, doctorf, Paulicus and 7 others like this.
  10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Lots here too. To be honest it made me rather emotional.

11. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Move, sometime later

Bloss

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  12. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

We live in the middle of a field, nobody would hear us if we were having a rave. Beautiful clear night full of stars. We went outside and clapped up to the stars, the real ones being in the NHS.

Covkxw, Paulicus, Weekender and 4 others like this.
  13. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Plenty here, fireworks too. Sis in law is a senior nurse in the NHS so it’s nice to see they’re being massively appreciated in this horrific time...

twotone, doctorf and Tony Lockhart like this.
  14. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Did any of you catch it on your phones? All a bit flat here. Would love to see it.

I thought I'd mentioned but I had first hand experience on (I think) Tuesday night. So overworked - from nurses to ambulance crews. Here they have clean and dirty areas and entrances. Even clean and dirty ambulances. Call 999 and you will now have to answer about 25 questions related to any symptoms - not easy for those with some other symptoms. I had to simply put the phone down. They still came quickly and supplied the morphine. We are so lucky to have people like this for whom, care is the most important reason for their working.

Now I hope we will see the British public prepared to make similar sacrifices for them - starting with overwhelming pressure on the Government to pay them what they deserve.

Vis a vis tonight, I did try. I just wish we could think for ourselves. We are such a creative group of people. Can we be the first to do something for these people.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:48 PM
  15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I wasn’t sure how long I was supposed to do it for, and felt a little self-conscious so I gave it 15 seconds. It stirred up the farmyard dogs, who then barked for the carers.

16. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

+1 An otherwise-very-quiet street utterly lit-up for a minute here.

17. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

I don't think if people don't go outside and clap, that they do not support the NHS.

I don't think anyone should single out those who did not go outside and clap.

18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I already have a headache from trying to get my brain round the double- and triple-negatives.

Ponty, Tony Lockhart and Shadders like this.
  19. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Didn't think anyone in our road was going to bother but, they did, everyone around us were out clapping, cheering and hollering, even the ships currently in the docks sounded their fog horns. My Mrs started crying. Our daughter got swabbed today.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 9:48 PM
  20. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

Most of our neighbours were out, good to see that they are still alive.

Tony Lockhart and tqineil like this.