1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK public to applaud NHS staff at 8 p.m.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Well I'm grateful you did, and I think you might''ve been an hour early as you posted that just before 8pm GMT.

2. Lowand

Lowand Am I nearly there yet?

Turned the telly off to grab a beer and heard an odd noise from the front room. Realised it was outside and opened the front door The whole street were at their doors clapping. I'm a bit of a miserable git but just couldn't help it. I clapped! Came back in, burst into tears, grabbed beer. Soft northern Jessie.

3. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Clapping, cheers and appreciative shouting on the street. Fog horns and flares over the Mersey.

4. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

deebster,

Thanks, bro.

I thought you're five hours ahead of my time. Did the UK not go on daylight savings time a couple of weeks ago as we did?

Joe

5. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

6. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Not yet, it's this weekend.

7. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

A minute? Goes on for about ten here.....we even have musicians doing gigs on balconies. And everything.

tqineil, Paulicus and Tony Lockhart like this.
  8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Quite a racket on our street..

tqineil, Paulicus and Tony Lockhart like this.
  9. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Was pleasantly surprised that 5 out of the 7 houses in our road opened their doors. I’m in deepest Tory brexitshire.

Meanwhile over in civilisation, my sister told me that the whole of her street were applauding. The people of Lewisham appreciate the NHS. Remember the March to save Lewisham hospital -it worked ! We need a bit more of that spirit to drive up safety and salaries in the NHS.

tqineil, ff1d1l, twotone and 2 others like this.
  10. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I was out for an evening walk and people were hanging out of the windows and doors clapping me, it felt like I was finally being appreciated.

Of course I wasn’t, so I joined in.

:)

Fatmarley, tqineil and Shadders like this.
  11. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

My wife and the rest of the street did it in SE10. I stayed indoors moaning of course.

Stemcor and Big Tabs like this.
  12. Minio

Minio pfm Member

I don't know.
    I quite enjoyed joining with the neighbours in appreciation of what they do for us.
    Better than watching telly with head up a*se.

Covkxw likes this.
  13. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

SPLITTER !!!

:)

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Wonderful idea. I’m just so sad that healthcare here is so cruel and grasping. Maybe one day America will join the rest of the developed world.

Covkxw and Tony Lockhart like this.
  15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

All very good and heartwarming. I'm sure it is genuinely meant and much appreciated. But hearing on QT and from others about the lack of quality and quantity of essential PPE for people working in such conditions is very disturbing.

Roger Adams likes this.
  16. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

So that explains what the Rolling Stones were doing in the courtyard outside Marchbanks Towers at 8pm last night! I thought they’d simply got lost having wandered off from the retirement home up the road.

17. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I hope we can have a similar celebration of all the minimum-wage supermarket and shop/PO-workers, cleaners, care workers, nursery staff and delivery drivers as well as teachers—all amazing people risking their own health and their families' wellbeing to help the rest of us.

I worry that their part will be ignored or overlooked.

Stephen

sean99, droodzilla, deebster and 2 others like this.
  18. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

A friend living in Madrid posted about the applause for the Health Workers there back on the 15th - the following night the applause was for the alimentacion workers

19. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

That was how I felt. Why could we not at least try to be original.

Giving them a pay rise might help. Giving them supplies also.

The middle class paying 16% instead of the 6% (which they still try to avoid), to help the vulnerable, might help too.

A round of applause. How jolly.

20. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Let's hope that Boris is forced by those staff to self isolate for 21 days. Then, even I will applaud them :)