1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

UK public to applaud NHS staff at 8 p.m.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Thorn, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I think you're missing the point. The clapping is as much for the benefit of the people doing the clapping as those being clapped. Where I live is staunchly working class, but almost every house had someone clapping.

2. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Let's get a vaccine done!

3. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

I'm referring to typical Tory voters and I do live in a Tory stronghold so I hope you will excuse my only using personal experience.

Paying a proper wage. Not scaring vital European staff away. Supplying adequate and approved PPE in a timely fashion. That would help those in the NHS a lot more. Force the Government to respond. In Taylor's model of what happens in a pandemic like this, which has proven to be 100% accurate up to now, the next stage is civil unrest and rioting. Applause, I'm afraid, is IMHO "quaint" but both unoriginal and fairly pointless.

How about all those people take (or send) some home baked treats, water or some food to their local hospital given the difficulties these workers face shopping right now? Everyone feels better when there is real help and appreciation offered IME. I gave the ambulance crew, coming out at 1am the bananas out of my fridge. It isn't hard.

Last night was better than nothing don't get me wrong. Until more pressing issues are addressed through unstoppable public demand however, I would argue it is of little worth. Think of the person who saw that on the news last night and is now trying to stabilise someone, in the dirty area of A&E, without a WHO apporved face mask to wear. Is that person thinking "oh how wonderful"? This might seem harsh (apologies) but I just see dispassionate reality so sorry for that.

4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Roger, I understand your perspective but a highly visible and mass demonstration of support not only gives a much needed morale boost to those on the front line, it also reinforces the strong popular support for the NHS. I know several nurses and docs who were moved to tears by this. Don’t underestimate its value.

Sometimes that support falters, a little bit, so giving it a jolt now is important, and will make the right wing media think twice about any subtle undermining it might have considered doing, such as the Sun’s infamous castigation of the junior doctors’ strike.

Colin Barron, Thorn, Isobarik and 2 others like this.
  5. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Blah, blah, blah.

Tbh. I think the notion is a bit naff, but wholly support doing something positive that helps someone , somewhere, and without there being cheap, crass and obvious political points made about it.

You should try it before dismissing it. Cost you nothing.

blossomchris likes this.
  6. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I initially thought the whole thing was a bit pointless, but I was wrong, joined in and found it quite moving.

doctorf, guey, blossomchris and 2 others like this.
  7. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Class

FWIW I did - however tiny its worth. WE should not be "moved" by it. The NHS workers should be helped by it. It is almost as if we arranged it to make ourselves feel better.

I also donated to my local hospital. I've taken donuts to my GP's along with signing 3 petitions. I dismiss last night because too many seemed to feel they were doing what they should for NHS workers when they really should appreciate them and properly fund them.

You should try it before dismissing it.

I will leave it there as I have no wish to offend more - I see this in a different light to many here.

kendo likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Seriously? Ordinary people have no say in how well the NHS is funded, nor how much its staff gets paid. How do you propose I, and all the others, 'should' properly fund them? The only way we have a say is at the ballot box or, as last night, in mass public demonstrations of support.

9. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

If world hunger poverty wars were to stop you give me the impression you would still find something to be angry about !! Roger.

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

wonderful to see this demonstration of appreciation , a street near us the whole lot were out clapping

11. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Tony,

Can you give me "insufficient privileges" here please?. I'm not reading it now but there will be a temptation. Just because I have a different value of the value does not mean I wish to offend those who disagree.

Having said that, I think I am entitled to stand up for the NHS workers and request that people fight for them as much as lean out of their window and applaud them following the Italians.

12. guey

guey pfm Member

On the subject of helping out NHS staff, the radio station, Purple Radio I do a monthly show on is doing a 60 hour live radio marathon with money going to provide help/food/treats for NHS staff.
    Details are on the link.
    We are in conversation with a few hospitals to find out what they would like sent, and are hoping to raise £3000 over the weekend (already over halfway to that target).

13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

It's not one or the other, it's possible to do both.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Indeed. Misunderstood victim or provocateur. It's your choice, Roger, but you can't play both sides against the middle.

Big Tabs and Tony Lockhart like this.
  15. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

There's an awful lot of comments and differences of opinion on the Beeb too - along remarkably similar lines. Many saying what I am saying. Many getting upset about it. That is sad really. The intolerance of the (equally valid) opinion of others in this nation has never been as high in my life time - even during the strikes of the seventies. People like me are not "trolling" - we are looking at issues from a different, but equally valid, viewpoint. We do not refer to Lib Dem voters as "trolls" following elections do we?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52058013#comment_138680567

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I bet mums.net is lively at the moment.

17. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

It seems it will be every Thursday, so don't forget to clap tonight.

18. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Perhaps some simple rhythm training?

Seeker_UK and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  19. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Judging by the amount of bottles being constantly taken out to the glass skip, most around here will be lucky if they can hit one hand with the other.

cutting42 likes this.
  20. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member