1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Under cabinet lighting

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bob McC, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

can I get the benefit of the PFM massive and ask for advice on under cabinet lighting for a kitchen.

I suppose LEDs are the thing but strips, individual, mains, low voltage.

Presume I know nothing.

2. Hungry Halibut

Hungry Halibut pfm Member

When we had our kitchen done we had LED tape lights. They give a nice even light. They have a transformer box and a starter thing, both of which sit on top of the cabinet, and a 12v wire then goes down behind to the strip itself.

Tarzan likes this.
  3. garyi

garyi leave blank

Screw fix sell led strip ones by LAP I am pleased with them

4. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Tape for even, back or front lit lighting. Use individual lights if you want objects highlighted. Tape is usually 24V and runs from a remote power supply, which can be a long way away if that suits. Dimming by 1-10V signal cable back to the wall switch or controller. Individual lights are usually run by a driver or drivers and wired in series if they are low power.
    Tape is easy to install. You may want an aluminium extrusion with a cover to protect the LEDs. There are loads of profiles available. Some are angled at 45 deg so you can light from the front and aim at the back.
    Be warned, if you are used to halogen colour, avoid cheap LEDs. Wooden worktops may appear greenish. Colour rendering is often appalling.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

6. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

7. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

If anything, this thread proves that development of low voltage, low consumption LED based lighting tech is moving very fast.

FWIW, my year old new kitchen is quite small and is amply served by half a dozen LED ceiling spots and a similar number of 'under cupboard' LED lights.
    I'll probably change this in a couple of years as things get better and cheaper, but really I won't be losing any sleep over it.

8. patcmbll

patcmbll Member

LED tape is best. Fitted in an extrusion with a diffuser. Ledhut as mentioned earlier is a good source.
    I would stick to warm white (3000K) as the higher Kelvin ones are a bit harsh. Something around 10 watts/metre.
    Also I would stick to 12v as you get a better choice of driver. Get a nice metal enclosed one.
    The tape will come with tails attached. You can cut the tape to length and solder tails on to the remainder bits very easily for other runs.
    The driver can sit on top of the cupboards.
    You can just put a plug on it and switch off like that or hard wire with a switch.

gintonic likes this.
  9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Thanks.
    The type of light and kelvin rating is just the sort of info I was after, as were the sources.

10. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Set the worktops on fire

Bloss

11. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I think the colder temperatures are much nicer, my eyes prefer them. I agree WRT 12v ones - the 5m 72w tape I linked to earlier with a 80w supply is great. You can cut the tapes and use special connectors to run wire between each unit.

12. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

I have just finished doing this in our new kitchen. The colder temperatures did indeed look best. I used led tape for floor level lighting between the cupboard doors and plinth and individual task lights under the wall cupboards to illuminate the work surface and inside glass fronted cupboards. We have 2 separate circuits for dimmable ceiling leds in different parts of the kitchen and pendants over the island and table. The pendants are Phillips hue ambient white so we can alter the light balance and all eight circuits can be switched from a main switch plate. A lot of work but the entire room was gutted for the refit so I took the opportunity to do it all and install KEF in ceiling speakers commected to the main system at the same time. The lighting has made such a difference and we spend so much more time in there now.

13. colinp

colinp pfm Member

Colour temperature is obviously subjective. We felt that cool white made it look like a morgue.

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Depends on the kitchen you have, some like the 'morgue look' with high gloss on a flat panel doors so you can be paranoid about every fingerprint.

I have clients who have fitted such into 19/20 C. farmhouses then realised the error of their ways and had me rip it out and install something more sympathetic.

If you have natural woods then a warmer colour temperature is more suited. IMO.

15. colinp

colinp pfm Member

[​IMG]
    I bought the LED strip and aluminium extrusion separately and used a touch sensitive switch/dimmer I found on eBay.
    I also put ceiling speakers in, connected to a Squeezebox media player controlled from a smartphone.

16. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

A family member recently used tape LED lighting in their kitchen refit. All as described above plus a remote control to change colour at will. Most useful IMO were the cool white and warm white settings, added to the brightness adjustment.
    Has everything covered.

17. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

You can get LED replacement tubees to replace the flourescent tubes. So reduce the running costs.

18. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

x2

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m always confused by what people actually have under cabinets that needs lighting.

20. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Working area for chopping, toasting, making tea, filleting fish etc etc