1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

When the political parties couldn’t do anything without checking with the press first, labour were just as bad with “news management” and conservatives with Cameron’s “Think of the headlines in the Daily Mail”. If planning for the future just involves thinking five minutes ahead you end up with the country looking like it’s being run by a hyperactive toddler cf. Boris.

2. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

3. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I've seen a couple of theories about how Johnson might avoid asking for an extension without breaking the law. One is in the Telegraph this morning:
    The other involves refusing to appoint a UK commissioner to the EU at the start of its new session which, the theory goes, makes anything the EU says and does afterwards illegitimate (somehow).

Both sound like the kind of nonsense a bunch of public schoolboys - who are more interested in "winning" as an end in itself, than solving a serious political problem - would dream up. I don't think either will succeed, but both reinforce Johnson's preferred narrative of "plucky Brits vs the establishment" leading into a general election.

4. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

ks.234 likes this.
  5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

They also sound more and more like Baldrick's 'cunning plans', which Blackadder knows will inevitably fail, but which are straws at which he never fails to grasp, with hilarious results.

Covkxw likes this.
  6. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Does anyone else now think Corbyn should just take the election?

Do we really want to crawl towards October 19th with the open question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?'

7. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

He'd be crazy to.

An election after 1st November with the UK still in the EU will split the Conservative vote.

Has Johnson made a booboo proroguing Parliament? He could have tried several parliamentary procedures to get around this bill, but time has run out for him until mid-October.

Stephen

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Nope. Keep Johnson wriggling on the hook he has impaled himself upon so carelessly. Let's see what his 'cunning plan' to both break the law and not break the law actually consists of. Boris being Boris, cock-up will follow cock-up, as surely as night follows day.

SteveS1, MikeMA, sean99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

i don't think so. doing it this way can be interpreted as putting national interest before party (which would in fact be the case). i also think he is now scoring points off the blond oaf the way he never seemed to do against t. may. he looks increasingly like a leader. and with no deal out of the way, that would leave the oaf without his prime leverage electorally (the ever toxic farage)

10. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

The cunning plan is .... 'grit and perseverance'. Mate, it got us through two world wars against the Bosche and it'll work again. End of.

aquapiranha likes this.
  11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m watching Johnson respond to Varadkar’s speech in Dublin just now. Varadkar physically dwarfs Johnson and he has gravitas that Johnson lacks. He’s looking at Johnson skeptically as he does his blathering act, patronisingly calling him Leo while not looking at him.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The longer the public get to see the real BJ before a GE the better. Up until now they probably saw him as that funny politician off HIGNY. Soon or later the public will realise he is not fit for office

Nick_G, andrewd, MikeMA and 1 other person like this.
  14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Also, Johnson now admitting no deal would be a failure, but a failure for which we would all be responsibility!?

So the thing he’s been lying and cheating his way to achieving is a failure, but it’s not Boris’s fault you understand, it yours and mine!

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Plus hopefully there are a good few more MPs in his party that he can alienate and will stand as independents against his increasingly far-right English nationalist Tory party. Even if they only split the vote, that is enough.

andrewd and Woodface like this.
  16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I read this through, intresting and appears reasonably balanced, but it isn't. The pro-EU bias of Dr Usherwood becomes evident in the very first section, when he tries to pull the old remainer chestnut of relativity in EU related sovereignty dilution being comparable with membership of the UN, NATO and WTO. Sure the UN for example was founded upon utopian world-government principles (the clue's in the name), like the League of Nations before it, but those ambitions have long been contained by real-world pragmatisms. The EU has, from its inception, been an overtly supranational project dedicated to the transfer of sovereign power from the nation state to Brussels, with laws, fiscal and economic policy, foreign and defence policy and even cultural policy being defined and issued by Brussels. That ambition remains intact.

17. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Sorry ks. That wasn't aimed at you!

Stephen

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I'm afraid that when we take a position we all find ourselves aligned with people with whom we fundamentally disagree, and whom we might find extremely distasteful, and that includes you.

Hitler was a vegetarian, therefore all vegetarians are nazis. Discuss.

Beneath all the tropes about some kind of assault on democracy by BJ I suspect some people are losing sight of the fact that he is carrying out the wishes of the majority. Those trying to confound him, and who themselves have already tested the limits of our democratic constitutional settlement in their efforts, are doing the opposite.

Didn't Major remove the whip from Maastricht dissidents, or threaten to, did Blair and May not ignore their cabinets?

Our electoral system will sort this out, and once it has done so, we can then sort the electoral system out. If there were a decent opposition, BJ would be toast in the forthcoming election. You cannot blame the electoral system for the fact that Corbyn is the leader of the opposition.

19. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

Apropos of nothing, cocaine is a hugely destructive drug.

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

No problem