1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Well, three years ago we hadn't had a PM shut down parliament, frame an election as parliament versus the people (i.e. him), and a cabinet minister imply that the judiciary were politically motivated.

I used to be highly sceptical about the UK being on the road to being a fascist state. I still am, but we only if we nip this in the bud. These are very dangerous times.

To answer your original question, people will only believe that there's a problem when they have to queue for fuel and the supermarket shelves are empty. Even then there'll be someone else to blame.

Konteebos and TheDecameron like this.
  2. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Why would drugs companies not be allowed to sell and transport drugs to the UK? Wild threats such as this discredit real problems we will face.

3. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Nobody has suggested they wouldn’t be allowed but if supply chains are disrupted by queuing at the ports caused by new procedures there would be a shortage.

4. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

CB, All the real problems we face are created within the UK. Brexit is the result of a decades long right wing project to blame our ills on the EU and not the old, rich, white guys and gals that own the country and run it for their benefit.

The tories trying to drag us out before the EU requires them to reveal their overseas assets is not a coincidence.

PsB, SteveS1, Caledon1297 and 3 others like this.
  5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

You've not read the Yellowhammer report, have you? It's only short, and it's linked to from the previous page on this thread. How about you read it, then ask any questions you might have, rather than clogging up this thread with questions you could easily answer for yourself.

Darmok, Caledon1297, Bob McC and 3 others like this.
  6. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

I don't know, risk assessments are there to be updated when more information is available. The credibility of that information might be in question however.

7. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Is it not more of a worry that the speaker took control of parliament from the government?
    The EU political wing may prescribe self harm in a bid to teach the UK a lesson but trade self interest will prevail.

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Parliament should be supreme, it certainly has power over government. If you don't understand that, that probably explains why you don't understand why many of us think Bercow has been a hero in all this, in insisting Parliament fulfils the role government would prefer to shut it out of.

PsB, i_should_coco, palacefan and 2 others like this.
  9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The quality of UKIP leafleting is not strained. Wetherspoons might be converted but Nigel & Co need a thick skinned shill on pfm. It’s like Groundhog Day where you open the front door to the same JW with the same script for eternity.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You forgot the other marker - housing. When this causes a decline in housing costs, especially if it hits the SE outside London, there will be hell to pay. Housing is the sacred cow of the UK economy, we all think we understand it but we don't, and we all want affordable housing without seeing the value of our own house fall.

11. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

That is the point an unelected government set the agenda and passed laws.

12. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Apologies, my post was written in haste and should have said that the reasoning for using that as an excuse not to have a second ref, instead it was written as if I were saying what you said wasn't logical.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Wetherspoons converted? Surely not, don't say that he's changed sides or said "maybe we need a bit more time" .

14. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Firstly there's no 'unelected government', secondly it's always been possible for the opposition to propose legislation and get it passed through parliament.

Covkxw likes this.
  15. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Evidence.

16. tuga

tuga European

The thing is that her point of view is evidence-based.

She is representing her constituents' best interests by voting against their self-harming wishes.

Unless you believe that the majority of the general public knows better...
    I guess this depends on where you live but would you form a government with the blokes who hang around the pub in the corner?

tiggers likes this.
  17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

No. We have Parliamentary Sovereignty, not Government Sovereignty. Currently we don’t even have a govt majority. The speaker is protecting parliament from overmighty, undemocratic, bullying

PsB, jackbarron, Caledon1297 and 6 others like this.
  18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Exactly. The speaker is there to ensure that procedure is followed. This is the means by which we stop a minority government from just doing as it pleases without getting majority consent.

i_should_coco likes this.
  19. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

WTO tariffs...I'm been trying to work how these are levied. is thre %age levied on:

- the UK list price
    - the UK invoice price to the customer (unlikely)
    - the transfer value / cost price (eg value charged by vehicle OEM to UK distributor)

The reason I've asked is that I've just ordered new car with a get out clause should the price rise. Should the 10% WTO trariff be levied on what basis is it charged? I've looked at various documents but can't find this being specified.

20. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

They can. That’s not the point. Unless we sort out regulations there’ll be holdups. There’ll be holdups at ports too and many drugs have short shelf lives. It’s the disruption that will be the issue not trade per se.

The media concentrate on trade but it’s regulation that’s the real issue. Its amazing everyone talks about the tiny fishing industry but not about the huge finance and service sectors that will be really hit by any kind of Brexit.

Anyhow we’ll find out if Johnson pushes us to no deal.

Stephen

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.