1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The importer has it added to the cost price, so normally it will be passed onto the consumer.

tuga likes this.
  2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The problem is with the logistic side of thing if 50% of cross channel traffic is being held up.

Also exporting to the UK will be no different to exporting to any other country that doesn’t have a trade agreement with the EU. This is a point that people have been trying to make for the last three years. Perhaps it’s finally beginning to get through.

stephen bennett likes this.
  3. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Covkxw likes this.
  4. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

So in the example of car it would be 10% of the price the OEM charges to the UK distributor?

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's the HMRC value. HMRC can and will look up values of similar items, and they have tables of values for commodities. So you show up with a receipt for a nearly new bmw at £5k and the officer says "I don't think so" and reaches for Glass's guide. Sorry sir, this car's worth £20k of anyone's money so we want £x before it's released. A lorryload of cotton, grade xyz, ah yes, £300 a tonne. Tariff on that is 10%, 20 tons at £30 a tonne sir, £600 to you. Oh and VAT, thank you.

6. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I suggest you reread my post.

This is a problem of the UK’s own making.

Stephen

kendo and tuga like this.
  7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

This is why there's usually a GE when the Government can't control business in the house, and why it makes the Speaker's role appear to be so abnormal in the current circumstances. The speaker is only allowing Parliament to vote for what it wants to do after all.

8. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

It isn’t a case of the EU staving us, AIUI it’s a case of the drugs not getting through due to complications bought about at our borders.

stephen bennett likes this.
  9. tuga

tuga European

Of course. But it's bound to be something like buy now pay later...

10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

A house is only worth what somebody is prepared to you pay for it, at the time you want to sell it.

11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’ve imported stuff from China. I had to pay the relevant import duty before I could take collection of the goods. That was based on the selling price to me.

In the case of a car that would be paid by the importer. It’s always possible they wouldn’t pass that on to the consumer, but I doubt they’d do that if it were 10% of the cost of a car.

12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I thought the argument was about drugs with a very limited lifetime being held up in Dover. There are shortages too from hoarding - paracetemol is in very short supply at the moment for example. My local Tesco has very little and the GP is struggling to get 100s

tuga likes this.
  13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Back in the 70s my grandmother had a cupboard full of sugar because she's 'heard' that there was going to be a shortage of it. There never was, but she wasn't taking any chances. Expect more of that kind of behaviour in the months to come.

gavreid likes this.
  14. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

What happens with the 10 is passed onto me will be "interesting". I have a get out clause but then the dealer is left with a car to sell in market where everyone is waiting for the situation to be resolved. The OEMs need the UK market to continue consuming cars to keep the factoring loaded. I can see a situation where the OEM, dealer and customer share the pain in some way. My bargaining chip is that I can refuse the car. In reality I could be prepared to make a contribution but I won't pay anywhere the full 10% and consequential extra VAT.

15. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Yes damn this hard brexit obsessed government and their endless PROJECT FEAR!

16. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

One presumes that most people wouldn't vote to f**k themselves let alone 17.8m. So I think we can assume that lots of people didn't believe these concerns were real. Indeed the whole Johnson/Cummings strategy seems to be to have an election before reality intrudes on them not believing.

ks.234 likes this.
  17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I remember being scared that the price of sweets would go up ;)

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think that there was actually a shortage, I remember being sent as a boy across the supermarket to get a bag, I snagged the last bag from a pallet. Now how much of this was hoarding driven and how much actual shortage I don't know, but it seemed real at the time.

Covkxw likes this.
  19. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Yes indeed and each time I hear a minister reference Project Fear I think of their PROJECT EMPIRE!

20. tuga

tuga European

21. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Alarm bells were sounded years ago about the type of candidates the Conservatives were getting into Parliament from 2010 and that they would make Thatcher’s Boys like Lilley and Forsyth look like members of the Fabian Society. They laid out their stall with Britannia Unchained while operating as shills for bodies like the Legatum Institute and guess what? They’ve come good on their right wing promises, coupling with Bullingdon and old unmentionables from the back benches- lying to the public, closing Parliament and attacking the judiciary while they drive Britain deliberately into political and economic crisis.