1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think that there was actually a shortage, in fact I looked it up, the Caribbean countries producing cane sold it to the USA for higher prices than they had agreed with the EEC, in defiance of a trade deal (what has the EU ever done for us?) and as a result there was insufficient for a period until the UK sugar beet production picked up. I remember being sent as a boy across the supermarket to get a bag, I snagged the last bag from a pallet. Now how much of this was hoarding driven and how much actual shortage I don't know, but it seemed real at the time.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Victoria Derbyshire is in full finger jabbing mode. “Why will you not prevent no deal Brexit by voting for a ‘tweeked deal’?”
    We now have ‘Tweeked Deal Brexit’ though no one’s ever seen the creature.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

As somebody has recently pointed out (Twitter: Dr Paul Bernal) how can Yellowhammer be part of project fear when a) it was never intended for publication outside government circles and b) the government fought against its release into the public domain.

tiggers, kendo, Covkxw and 1 other person like this.
  4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, she got quite screechy at one point. I wonder if she’s one of those momentum types?

5. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

6. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Who thought it was a good idea to redact part of a document that had already been leaked? Everyone's attention is now focused on this part of the document and it has attracted more publicity than if they'd just published the whole thing.

Caledon1297 likes this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

To pay for the benefits of having got a trade deal made for us as a part of a larger group, and to reflect the fact that when/if we come out of the EU the tariffs we will end up paying to all and sundry will make £1.6Bn pa look like a grain of sand in the desert.

Mullardman likes this.
  8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, however to be fair this particular truism isn't the point here.

9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That depends. If house prices were to fall through the floor I suspect that wages would be frozen to control inflation. It's hard to think about house prices in isolation...

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Given his complete misunderstanding of the medical supply issue, I doubt it.

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's rather the point I'm making, people think that they understand house pricing when they don't. I'm certainly not suggesting that we consider them in isolation. They are driven by all sorts of things, including the local economy. I can buy a reasonable terraced house in Grimsby for less than the price of the bricks in it. The same place in London would be nearly a million, maybe more. The other point I'm making is that house prices are a sacred cow. Any government that presided over a wholesale and widespread decline in house prices would be toast.

12. tuga

tuga European

Not if you read the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Mirror, Sun, Times or Telegraph. It'll be sunlit uplands all the way...

[​IMG]

13. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

This certainly used to be the case when everyone in work strove to buy their house because the selling price went up faster than their wages, with a modest level of sacrifice it could be bought and even if there was a bit of struggle initially inflation would soon ease the burden. So old people sitting in their million pounds houses might be unhappy but the young in work would not. Those old people are very much part of our current problem while those young are the future of the UK.

There is no decision to make if the future prosperity of the UK is to be given any weight at all but, obviously, any government that represents the interests of the rich is going to do all it possibly can to prop up house prices as it's record shows.

sean99 likes this.
  14. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

16. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

We buy £90 billion more from the EU than we sell them, but self harm will not be a consideration by the bureaucrats. Luckily Angela has other ideas.

17. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I wonder if Boris has adhered to tendering rules for the Royal Navy Frigates?

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Nope...

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

So UK exports to the EU are £289 billion, while the average exports from the EU to the UK are £345 billion divided by 27 - £12 billion. Of course this will be weighted towards northern European countries, but the potential exposure for each of those will be far less than the UK.

As the government themselves said in the Yellow Hammer document...

"In a small number of instances where the impacts of Brexit would be felt negatively in the EU as well as in the UK, Member States may act in way which could also benefit the UK".

So the UK government expects the overall effect of Brexit on the EU to be minimal.

19. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

Given the similarity to the 'bribe/threat' about shipyard jobs during the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum, perhaps not? :eek:

:rolleyes:

20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That's in a nutshell what Tory Brexit is all about, unfettered cronyism and corruption.