1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Brexit fundamentalists is an excellent name for the leave faction.

2. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

OK, technically you may be right, but even so I think the courts would have to factor in the promises made, the huge emotional investment of the public in such a divisive issue, and the need to portray to the public that their votes count when they're told they count.

If so I still think there's little chance even a majority LD government would be able to revoke article 50 based on an election pledge, if elected.

But it is irrelevant as we know they can't win a majority (thankfully, from my point of view).

3. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

For the same reason we subsidise south wales, tyneside, etc. In the short term it alleviates problems and in the long run it makes us better off by growing the overall economy (because it's not zero sum).

4. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

It is not the same they are part of our United Kingdom.

5. tuga

tuga European

There are many types of Brexit. Ironically, Remain means Remain.

6. matthewr

7. matthewr

But there are many types of Remainer. This is not a matter of controversy!

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No, IMHO it wouldn’t. The court would be guided by what the law says, not by what politicians claim.

Remember, the recent challenge to the prorogation of Parliament, in the English High Court, failed because the court decided the decision to prorogue was a political one, and therefore it had no jurisdiction. (The Scottish challenge went the other way because the court disagreed with that analysis. The Supreme Court will referee this tomorrow).

maxflinn likes this.
  9. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

... Errr, could I state the obvious here? Or would it be pointless I wonder...?

Covkxw likes this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They are all right though!

11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

You'd think! In my experience most of the regular contributors to this thread absolutely will not countenance the idea.

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

And maybe the EU court after that...

13. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

That assumes the present government really prefers no deal to some deal. Are they that depraved?

14. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Rather less than 17m by now I’d imagine. Hence the desperation to avoid a 2nd referendum.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Predictably the usual suspects, the Torygraph and Express are are all hands to the pumps, spraying synthetic outrage that World King has been insulted by Europe ( or as another Tory put it- the PM of a country population 650,000). If they’re concerned about Boris being humiliated, they should listen to what Jonathan Sumption, the retired Supreme Court Justice said about Johnson’s character tonight. He didnt mince his words.

16. rbrown

Who was he calling a chicken the other week?

ff1d1l likes this.
  17. rbrown

Yes but is that true in the case of an advisory referendum?

18. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

No, it’s not. We had an advisory referendum plus a govt pledge to implement the result. If the govt had decided not to implement the result there would be no legal way to force them; it would just be another broken political promise. For that reason any govt who could get a bill through Parliament to cancel A50 would be behaving legally.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  19. rbrown

Yep that’s how I see it

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

No - there are many reasons for remain, if you wish to use these to differentiate between remainers.
    But really, anything other than remain isn't in fact remain, is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.