1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Discussion in 'off topic' started by russel, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

The LDs don't imagine winning. They just want to survive. Survival is their win.

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I should imagine that a good few people who voted to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum have become leavers following the behaviour of the Luxembourg PM earlier today. I'm afraid that that kind of malarkey is a gift to the Leave campaign.

3. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

That fact looms much larger in some minds than others. People for whom nationality trumps economics.

Some in South Wales don't believe in the United Kingdom, again despite economics. I trust you see no flaw in their feeling that way?

4. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

He's always afraid. Why should he be afraid?

5. Minio

Minio pfm Member

And Jo Swinson will be seen addressing a Brexit convention. Perhaps not.

Now... JC on the other hand. Can swing either way.

As in - way da go Jezza!

6. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Fortunately the vast majority of remain voters are not swayed by bullsh1t arguments like this (or stupid lies on the side of buses)

Rob998, tuga, andrewd and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I thought he was great! He really exposed that Bullingdon clown as the cowardly bell-end he is. How did we end up with such an utterly crap PM? Oh, I remember, he’s one of your Brexit lot...

kendo, rbrown, irons1965 and 3 others like this.
  8. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Best not annoy him though as post-Brexit we will have to spend 10 years brown nosing him so he doesn't veto the slightly sh1t trade deal we will have to sign with the EU to replace the really good one we currently enjoy.

irons1965, Konteebos, Rob998 and 3 others like this.
  9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Only to the hard of thinking. Which part of it being a UK instigated problem and Johnson not having tabled anything new did the Luxembourg PM get wrong?

Oh and should any of them have lied on a scale of our own PM, you would perhaps have a point. But as you rather like Johnsonian lies, that probably doesn't count.

irons1965, ff1d1l and andrewd like this.
  10. SteveS1

Absolutely. As Leavers turn to the subject of trade, should the country be dim enough to accept no-deal, I would imagine item 1 on the agenda will be OK, now where is your contribution to these regulations that you will have to follow and have no say in?

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I was expecting a lengthier diatribe in the usual purple prose EV. It was more like some halfwit getting a knife out because they was disrespected. No one disses Bojo. I assume you were so outraged you had to reach for the smelling salts?

andrewd and SteveS1 like this.
  12. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

And May's deal is not leaving but it will be presented to us again.

13. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Perhaps the highest court in the land could clear up all of the illegality concerns around the referendum before considering if it's illegal to brush this sorry mess under the carpet.

14. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I doubt if many people realise there taxes are being used to subsidise those protesters.

15. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Would that be the ECJ?

16. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Dunno, maxflinn cited "the highest court in the land".

17. SteveS1

Eurotunnel spending on arrangements to cope in the event of no deal £30 million and counting. Just begin to imagine a little totalling up government's own figures (approaching £2 Bn so far) and putting it on the other side of that bus. Bargain eh?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/summary-costing-brexit

The real cost of Brexit will not be clear for some time

We look only at costs incurred ahead of the UK’s formal exit from the EU. Brexit will continue to cost money beyond 2019, as the UK prepares for and adjusts to its new relationship with the EU. But the true scale of those costs will not be clear until the future relationship starts to take shape. Details still to be determined, like the UK’s relationship with EU regulators or its access to EU-wide customs systems, will affect the scale of the task in Whitehall – and the size of the bill for delivering it.

If the UK fails to negotiate the access to EU regulators that the Prime Minister wants, the costs are likely to grow – new arm’s-length bodies and new border functions will need to be operational. If it successfully negotiates continued participation in agencies and systems, the impact on Whitehall budgets could be less significant.

The Treasury has put aside a further £1.5bn for 2019/20. That could prove to be a fairly comprehensive slush fund, or just the beginning.

What this paper does not cover

This analysis only covers the six departments referenced. For staff numbers, it focuses on core departments, and does not attempt to cover the impact of Brexit on arm’slength bodies.

We rely on data, reports or information released by government. Where assumptions have been used to fill certain gaps, it is because data is not available. Calculations made on the basis of these assumptions will not be exact but offer an indication of size and scale. All assumptions are included in the text and referenced in endnotes and an appendix.

These costs reflect only the administrative costs incurred by Whitehall departments. They do not reflect the financial settlement agreed as part of the withdrawal negotiations, nor any other savings or costs anticipated as a result of Brexit. We do not include costs incurred in local and devolved governments.

Apart from the set-up costs for DIT and DExEU, we have ignored costs incurred in 2016/17 since data on these is not readily available, and they are likely to be minor compared to the costs for 2017/18 and beyond.

* We use £375m for our calculation of the £900m total across departments.

** This figure includes our £400m estimate for 2017/18, the £1.5bn set aside by the Government for 2018/19, and the £100m budgeted for DExEU in 2018/19 (which is not included in the £1.5bn).

TheDecameron likes this.
  18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Look on it as Johnson’s greatest ever Garden Bridge. This one isn’t £53m though, it’s billions and he crashed the pound and closed down Parliament to get it.

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Really? How much did they get?

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Evidence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.