1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vast Brexit thread merge part V

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Oct 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

There was a rumour this morning that the DUP are now considering a second referendum.

As I suspected from their response to the Johnson deal, I think they now realise that supporting Brexit will/has led to their political demise.

Stephen

andrewd and HarryB like this.
  2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

The demise of the bowler hat wearing religious fundamentalists can only be a good thing. Death of DUP and death of Tory Party in one fell swoop is too much to hope for I guess.

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Seen on the march yesterday "Just Get On With Remain".

andrewd, stephen bennett and Colin L like this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Testing the water today my fear is Johnson’s hopeless Brexit deal will pass this week entirely thanks to Labour. I hope I’m wrong, but I just fear the party is so riddled with MPs in ugly leave seats that will place their own political career ahead of the clear interest of the country or those with businesses and jobs in their own area.

Given six Labour gammons wouldn’t even vote for the Letwin Amendment, which only served to protect us from the bare-faced lies and recklessness of Johnson, my guess is another ten or more will join them. That will be enough to get it over the line. I’m expecting Corbyn to be his usual useless conflicted spineless self and not withdraw the whip even from MPs who enable the worst excesses of disaster capitalism, xenophobia and white ethnic nationalism, let alone supporting a mandate-less minority PM who is so arrogant he considers himself entirely above the law.

chris@panteg likes this.
  5. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

No one likes us, we don't care!

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Brexit was about taking back control so it resides in our parliamentary sovereignty. Yet Boris Johnson’s 3 letters to the EU undermines the balance of executive, legislative and judiciary on which parliamentary sovereignty is founded.

By sending the unsigned letter Johnson in contravention of the spirit of the Benn Act and his 2 further signed letters contradicting it, Johnson has set himself up as superior to and distinct from the legislative.

Far from fulfilling the Brexit promise to enhance parliamentary sovereignty, Johnson is trampling all over it.

Welcome to the the Republic of the ERG

7. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

The whole point of the Letwin amendment was to give parliament more time to consider the deal before voting on it. So it seems unlikely to me that additional Labour MPs will make the move on an early vote next week. Which, of course, is why the government withdrew the bill once the amendment passed -- MPs were signalling it would not pass without, at the very last, more analysis and debate.

There is also the shady way Rees-Mogg used a point of order at the end of the debate which the speaker signalled he was not going to stand for. So it might not even come up for another vote until the ramifications of Saturday are clear and worked out.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yes but calm heads needed. Bercow should rule out the return of Johnson's turd tomorrow. For a start there was no good reason to withdraw it and by now motions to produce the impact statements should be heard before MPs vote on it.

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

HarryB, ff1d1l, jackbarron and 2 others like this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I hope that is correct. I’m sure Bercow will try to do the right thing if he possibly can, though annoyingly his days in the role are numbered. My fear is if it goes to the vote it will pass. Because Labour.

11. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Amidst the rabid front pages of most of the Sunday papers, I liked this one from the Sunday Mail ;)

[​IMG]

HarryB likes this.
  12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Gove adamant we're leaving by 31st.

13. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Or lack of spine from Tory "rebels", many of whom have been fawned over on this very forum.

HarryB and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

It may not even get to a vote because Labour.

HarryB likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Without the DUP it can’t pass without Labour voting for it. That is just simple math.

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Also, the Letwin amendment removes the threat of an accidental No Deal, and early noises from the EU indicate that the request for an extension will be granted. Some potential Labour rebels said they might vote for Johnson's deal to avoid No Deal, so yesterday's vote changes the dynamic. Whether it's enough remains to be seen.

HarryB likes this.
  17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Of Swinson’s proposed caretakers, one voted against Letwin (Stewart) and another has declared he’ll vote for the deal (Clarke). She couldn’t support Corbyn because “he’s a Brexiter at heart”.

That blame is still being focused on Corbyn at this stage says something.

maxflinn and Weekender like this.
  18. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I think you need to distinguish between Labour (a political party made up of hundreds of MPs) and a handful of Labour MPs who might vote for Johnson's deal.

HarryB likes this.
  19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Or Lewis Goodall (also Sky): https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185673376557387777

His most recent article is excellent: https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-b...-his-deal-if-theresa-may-achieved-it-11839137

Why can't more political journalists, you know, remember stuff?

HarryB, Covkxw and Weekender like this.
  20. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

According to Letwin on Marr today the whole point of the amendment was to prevent a no deal. He said he would vote for the BJ deal as he did with Mays deals in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.