1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Verging on vegetarianism, by accident.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Sep 13, 2019.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

we are, but fresh doesn't make it inland. If I could buy nice fresh seafood and fish, then I would.

2. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Where do you buy fresh sardines and mackerel, if you do?

3. gintonic

Cornwall, delicious it is.

4. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

Fresh mackeral? Most supermarkets stock it, and its cheap, as is trout.

5. Frankiesays

Depends on your locality, as a nation we are very divorced from nature.

6. gintonic

err yes that's what I said.

now you are talking in riddles, what has that got to do with the fact, that little or no really fresh fish is available near me?

7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Depends on what you accept as "fresh".

8. gintonic

have you evidence of most?

Cos none round here have it. Occasionally, if you are lucky, Waitrose will have some, but it isn't what I would call fresh.

Certainly not fresh enough for a tartar or light searing which is what I would want.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

There was a recent tv programme comparing “fresh” fish from supermarkets and fishmongers.

The results were horrifying.

The food scientist conducting the test said he only bought frozen fish now because of the appalling state of of fish retail.

I don’t buy “fresh” now, but I would if I lived near the coast and could access the local markets where the fish are landed.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The only way of killing an animal without causing it suffering is to creep up on it in a field with a bolt gun.

Do you think they don’t know what awaits them as they approach the abbatoir?

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I know they don't. I've worked in abattoirs, if pigs feel any fear their meat isn't fit to eat. Look up PSE pork.

12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I'm from Birkenhead. Actually, my parents were thinking about emigrating to New Zealand around the time I was born, had got all the paperwork done etc, but at the last minute my mother decided she couldn't live so far from her mother, sisters and brother, and they stayed put.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Frozen is a mixed bag. Plenty of meat and fish retailers I have worked with freeze the end of life stuff that they can no longer knock out to fresh retail. The reason is that if I sell fresh fish in a supermarket I have to sticker it UB delivery plus, say, 4 days. If I freeze the stuff I have no such concerns as it gets defrosted and cooked same day. This is especially true in catering. They fish out what they need and either cook it from frozen or chuck it on the side for a couple of hours and then off they go. You are therefore free to use stuff that won't keep another 4 days.

14. deebster

deebster pfm Member

So they couldn't convince her to leave the peninsula?

Gorgeous place NZ

15. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I used to often wonder how different my life would have been had we moved there. Probably less random violence, for a start.

16. Frankiesays

I go by the eyes, when they start to become dull I reject it. I guess I'm lucky living by the coast, quite a few fish mongers, but you have to know where to find them.

17. gintonic

same here strangely (although I am a Londoner) but in my case my father, his mother and brother

18. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

After a conversation with a farmer acquaintance yesterday I started to think more about the position of eating less meat for the sake of the environment. A position I wholeheartedly agree with by the way, I just don’t feel comfortably calling it vegetarianism.

My farmer friend was telling me about the glut of deer at the moment, they’re overrun with the things and can’t keep the numbers down with the usual culling methods. I asked why, if that’s the case, is venison so expensive, and the answer is that we just don’t eat it here, the vast majority of venison is exported to France.

What happens after Brexit?

If we started eating venison and stopped eating beef, that would solve both the environmental issues of beef production and the over population of deer.

It seems to me that if the environment is our primary concern, we should stop eating beef and start eating as much venison as possible.

19. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

My guess is that venison would only equate to a tiny proportion of the amount of beef consumed here?

20. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, that was my point.

Whaleblue likes this.