1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vienna Blood

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Dec 2, 2019.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Just watched the final episode of this excellent BBC2 collaborative three parter.

Certainly a cut above most other stuff I've watched lately. Well written, a decent cast and atmospheric production.

Given the way it ended, and the 19th century Vienna political and social undercurrents hinted at throughout, there has to be a further series in the pipeline....doesn't there?

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I hope so, very good

3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

As often the case these days I enjoyed the performances of the actor's, the two leads especially. The standard if acting generally seems very high to me.
    I wasn't surprised to find the scrptwriter worked on Sherlock.
    Some of the main storylines became quite painfully convoluted...I'd say this is a general weakness with procedurals as they need to keep the viewer guessing.
    The background of Vienna and the family's Jewish story was handled very well.
    I'd watch a second series...

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

For me this weeks episode was very much better than last week's. The whole thing is generally good with some shaky moments. IMO/YMMV etc.

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I've only watched the first episode, which went on for far too long. Not as bad as War of the Worlds.

6. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

I spent some time working in Vienna in 1988, I recognised similar group support behaviour to what was shown in the last episode of the series. The street scenes reminded me of my walk to the office from the hotel near the Naschmarkt to the office in Cobdengasse. Good atmosphere in the TV program.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Utter tosh but enjoyed the scenes of Vienna.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I thought (and thought I'd read that) it was in Edwardian times (i.e. 1900 to 1910 or outbreak of war). I couldn't understand why there was no vehicular traffic shown. Late C19th would explain that; early C20th wouldn't.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Damning with faint praise ! :)

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Budget probably.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Thanks for that. By 1906 I'd've expected the odd jalopy in a city like Vienna.

12. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Not a bad effort and quite enjoyable wwith room for improvement , streets ahead of war of the worlds