1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Tannoy Chevoits

Discussion in 'audio' started by plimpington2, Jan 21, 2019.

1. plimpington2

plimpington2 pfm Member

i have an opportunity to get a vintage pair of Chevoits. He wants $900 for the pair. Condition is fairly good. I see a new pair runs north of $6000. Do you suppose the new ones recently reissued and heads and tails better than a good condition vintage pair?

Would run with 15 watts of 6BQ5 power.

Judd

2. cheviot

cheviot pfm Member

Check the surrounds. They disintegrate. If they’re redone properly then grab them. I run mine with a similarity vintage low watt Musical Fidelity A1-x with sublime results.

cooky1257 likes this.
  3. plimpington2

plimpington2 pfm Member

The owner of the shop re-coned the surrounds on them. They seem ok.

So you think that price is ok?

Judd

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. cheviot

cheviot pfm Member

5. KeithL

KeithL pfm Member

Don't hesitate.
    Place them on low stands so that the centres of the cones are at ear height.

6. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Jump on them. Even if you want to do some work on them further down the line the value compared to the newer model is off the chart...

cooky1257 likes this.
  7. Stereonow

Stereonow Registered User

I’m in contact with the retired CEO of Lockwood-Tannoy and he tells me he is happy [delighted even] to answer historic technical questions and more including 'rectifying both common and uncommon inaccuracies'

Replies will be published here on PFM and @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/363768614451699/

Neil

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Nice one , it was lovely to see all the lockwoods at the Brum hi fi show in 2017

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Costs about 4k for the cheviot legacy sh or special offer , there are some 17 month old tannoy Eaton legacy in classifieds for 2800 and mint apparently and I have spoken to owner