1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Tannoy's - where to start/finish?

Discussion in 'classic' started by killie99, Sep 27, 2018.

1. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

So, niggle to try to pair of vintage tannoy's but where to start with drivers and cabs? There seems to be a myriad of cab sizes and various drivers but googling just has me confused.
    I'd like to start quite far up the food chain to see what these are like so probably 15" drivers but what Red? Gold? HPD? Cab size?
    Saw that Cooky has some Mansfields for sale, is that a decent place to start and what's beyond them?

2. early

early pfm Member

One of the biggest limiting factors with Tannoy's is the physical size , how much space have you got ? .

3. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

room is 5m x 4m

4. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

I started staight in at Ardens (ex Cooky).and also 15" Golds in corner Lancaster cabs. I don't regret starting at that size at all. Bigger cabinets are better and Ardens/Mansfields are a sensible comprimise between SQ and domestic acceptability. Like to listen quite nearfield with them toed in.

HPD's and Gold do sound a little different but equally good IMO. I'm sure Frank will be happy to give you a thorough demo at his house before you buy.

cooky1257 likes this.
  5. early

early pfm Member

It's not so much the room size , Tannoy's work very well in most rooms regardless of size it's the physical room they take up as the better Tannoy's tend to have large cabinets . I've seen some that wouldn't fit through a door frame :) .

6. hermit

hermit pfm Member

I reckon Cooky's Mansfields would be a great place to start and quite possibly to finish!

cooky1257 likes this.
  7. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

^ +1

I used to use a pair of Mansfield 12" HPDs is a room of similar size to the OP.

Standing on 8" stands, they sang and imaged very nicely. :)

cooky1257 likes this.
  8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

My room is about 5m x 5m and 15” Amesburys (bought from - you guessed it - cooky1257!) fit very well.

For scale purposes that is a 37” TV.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Joe P and cooky1257 like this.
  9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Nurse! Nurse! I have just seen another rug!

10. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

If you can't stretch to 15" DC's then you wont go far wrong with the 12"(HPD or DU316/3128) in a decent sized box(95L is a good'un), they only lose out to the larger drivers in terms of scale-everything else is there in spades.

11. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

what are the dimensions of the Mansfield cabs?

12. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Is the "scale" thing a function of driver cone surface area, enclosure size, or both? I can't say I noticed a loss of scale when I moved from MG15s in rectangular Lancaster enclosures to MG12s in Edinburgh enclosures. However I did notice my MG12s in the Edinburgh enclosures sound quite a bit faster and more agile than the MG15s I had in Lockwood Major enclosures. The Majors and Edinburghs are not too dissimilar in terms of internal volume but the porting/venting design is different, so that was likely a contributing factor aside from cone surface area.

13. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

53x31x83cm

14. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Don't forget the cone is also the horn so the horn mouth on the 15" is 1/3 larger than the 12"

15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

It already has its own dedicated post in the System Pics thread, too.

16. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

You have a passive radiator!

17. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Just jump on Franks Mansfields. Crazy cheap for a good, sorted pair.

Yes they might look a little big in your room but when you hear them I doubt you'll care, provided you don't have to pander to anyone else's domestic design desires.

cooky1257 likes this.
  18. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Crikey they are quite a size. I presume these need to go on stands to give them a little bit more height?

19. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Depends how high your sofa is tbh ...

20. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

My 15" ers are in 220L cabinets in a room that is 3.8m * 3.3m and they sound fine to me.

As Early noted doorways can be a bit of a challenge :)

My honest guess is you will probaly start and finish with Frank's Mansfields

cooky1257 likes this.