1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl in films

Discussion in 'audio' started by uncl_nigel, Jan 11, 2019.

1. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Just noticed the upgrade in the vinyl rigs between The Mechanic and its sequel The Mechanic Resurrection - from what looks like Project to what looks like Oracle :)

2. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Have noticed that part of setting up Gilead in The Handmaid's Tale obviously included banishing CD players as the devil's work... everyone is listening to vinyl, when I say everyone I mean the commanders as everyone else is too busy being oppressed or raped.... it's a cheery little tale ;)

3. ktish

ktish pfm Member

Clockwork Orange. Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Clearaudio Master Reference.
    The Mechanic. Project RPM 9.2 Evolution

Who’s next

4. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Garrard 401 and SME arm in the new Bohemian Rgapsody film.

hairyderriere likes this.
  5. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Technics 1200 (?) in Shame (starring Michael Fassbender)

Transcriptor (?) in Jackie & Hilary

Who knows what is the turntable in Blow Up, Antonioni's classic film? All I know is that it has a topless Vanessa Redgrave...:p

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

7. hairyderriere

hairyderriere pfm Member

Funny that. Just watched the first episode of Titans on Netflix: same set up for Robin at his digs. Upscale audio or what?

8. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Not a film per se, but who can forget Morse's 'Richard's Deck' (Roksan Xerses with chrome bumper Naim no less) in episode 1, 'The Dead of Jericho'? What's her name (Jane?), the murder victim, had one too.

Somehow, old Morse eventually got downgraded to some plastic fantastic Jap music centre crap; he even began playing pre-recorded operatic cassettes at home, and not just in the Jag.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    stephen bennett and Nagraboy like this.
  9. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

The opening sequence of High Rise also has a Transcriptors turntable - possibly a homage to Clockwork Orange...

10. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Wasn't there a Rega deck in What Women Want ?

11. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

Looper Michell Gyrodek

Indecent proposal If I remember correctly it was a VPI TNT. Did it have a linear tracking tonearm? I seem to also remember that it had an ET-II tonearm.

12. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

13. Craig B

T'was a lovely perky little Lenco L70 in a matching grey plinth.:)

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Rankin’s Rebus owns an LP12/Naim set up too.

15. Craig B

I only caught a few episodes of Rebus before packing it in with cable/broadcast television for good.

I do remember thinking that, other than Morse, a lot of these DI types seem too dark and moody (if not necessarily downright sociopathic) to be kicking back and enjoying a proper hi-fi, or any music for that matter. Morse certainly could be both but he also had a strong interest in the arts.

I've pretty much given up hope that Rebus would appear on Netflix over here in Canada. We do get quite a few UK cop shows otherwise. Really enjoying Endeavour; of course his record player isn't worth spotting but his record covers (and the motor cars) certainly are.

16. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I don’t recall, however I’m sure Big Melons had a tasty Mark Levinson setup in that movie.

17. Craig B

Mel was spinning his Sinatra on a P25.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Was it connected to a Mark Levinson setup?

19. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I recall Gene Hackman has a cool hifi in The Conversation (1974) (one of my fav films) I have not been able to identify the deck or amp.

Also I used to have the same Sansui amp as John Cuzak in High Fidelity - SU888 I think.

Jono_13 likes this.
  20. Craig B

One of my favourite films too! Harry's deck was a Rek-O-Kut L-34 Rondine Jr.