1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Volvo v70 replacement

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I have an M reg Volvo V70 estate which is on it’s last legs and is probably not worth spending money on. I am thinking of buying the same again but wonder what else would give me the space especially load length. I am not intending to spend more than £1500- 1800 as it will not be the daily user.

2. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Sorry, one question and a bald statement.

What year is M reg? Nothing can replace a Volvo Estate of any year.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

My fear would always be that I’d be buying someone else’s box of problems. If the current car really is on the verge of costing say £2k, then it’s a no brainer to get rid. If it just needs a grand and you like the thing, I’d be tempted to say spend it.

Big cars can easily swallow savings!

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Good point. V70 came out in 1996, M reg is 1994/5.

5. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Possibly an 850?

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Your 20 year plus old Volvo is effectively worthless so unless it has actually handed you a bill, is about to run out of NoT or is otherwise about to die I'd just drive it. I'd replace it with a good example of any car you like. I had a Mondeo for 4 years and 60k miles, cost me nothing, I'm now in a jaguar x diesel, basically a Mondeo in a posh frock, I hope to do the same. Neither of these cost £1000 to go out and buy. There are no bad new cars any more, there are no cars that are a better buy at 100k miles than the competition. A 100k mile BMW is just as likely to hand you a big bill as a Mondeo. A bad BMW isn't a better car than a bad Mondeo. They're both a bad buy. The skill at your price point is spotting the good 'un. I can't tell you how to do that, you have either learned the skill or not. Good luck.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

get a Porsche

fatmarley likes this.
  8. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

What Steve said. If you need carry big things on motorways a lot, though, a good v70 is hard to beat for a couple of grand - and their stereos are astonishingly good.

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Give it a break. We know the DINKY story over and over and over.

HarryB and maxflinn like this.
  10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

JimmyB and Mr Cat like this.
  11. avole

I’d go for a younger one, as you yourself suggest. The motoring fraternity outside the Netherlands and the Nordic countries tend to ignore Volvo, or have never owned one so stick with what the mags and Clarkson’s gang say.

I keot my ancient 245 for 10 years until I moved to Darwin. Best car I’ve owned, and only beaten by one other on unmade roads, and I don’t have to tell you about their load carrying abilities. Bearing in mind I live in a country that drives on the right, they can be found at good prices especially where Mercedes and BMW reign supreme. Wouldn’t know about the UK, but a V70 in good nick is difficult to beat. Not sure about later models, but Volvos still seem to be compulsory if you come from Dutch speaking countries and have a caravan:)

Don’t touch Honda, they aren’t that big, and who knows what support may be like in the future.

12. robs

robs pfm Member

If it's not the daily user...just how much use does it get?
    Car + tax + MOT + insurance + servicing =£X?
    Rent something as needed instead?

gintonic likes this.
  13. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Mazda 6 estate.

JimmyB likes this.
  14. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Just a newer Volvo V70 estate. Virtually nothing of note will give you the load space. And they are pretty solid machines as you yourself already know.

Things like E class Mercs will be harder (expensive) to keep on the the road

hifilover1979 likes this.
  15. avole

I think the v70s have it !

16. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

My 850R was P reg.

Maybe look at Passats, Octavias & Audi A6’s?

17. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Yeah, I’ve just been handed a £650 bill for my 1999 Golf GTI, (although some of that is new discs, pads and a brake fluid change which is just scheduled maintenance), I briefly considered replacing it... for about 30 minutes anyway. I couldn’t replace it with anything better for anywhere near the cost of repairs/maintenance. And mine will have new brakes, catalytic converter and MAF sensor, anything I replace it with won’t. No brainier really, I like the car, I know what’s been done to it (it’s had a new clutch, ABS pump, cam belt, door lock mechanisms etc in the last four years/30k miles), engine and gear box are sweet, so are all the suspension components and it has no corrosion. I could go out and spend £6k on a new (to me) daily runaround tomorrow and get handed a big repair bill next week.

Darren and Tony Lockhart like this.
  18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

True, I really like big Volvos and E classes but if I had a maximum £2k budget, I’d absolutely pick a Volvo over a Merc. If you can afford to buy a newer Merc with low mileage, good service history and a warranty, you’ll have a lovely car, but an old one can easily hand you a bill that outweighs the value of the car.

19. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Not to mention the Mercedes rust problems.

20. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

Seeker_UK likes this.