1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Volvo v70 replacement

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Apr 12, 2019.

1. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Been looking at the Volvos myself thanks to this thread. Was thinking of a Mercedes, which you can pick up on autoscout.de for a song, particularly if you type in the right town and are looking for a LHD, but, this thread has made me rethink.

Nothing wrong with Honda if you are talking about two wheeled vehicles, in fact I have one. Nothing wrong with their cars, either, but I’d pick a Toyota above other Japanese brands any day. Tough as old boots. That’s what we were given in the NT, and for good reason.

2. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

I've heard a lot of people say Volvo have some of the best sounding car hifi they've ever heard. Don't know what models though...

3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

When I bought my current Volvo in 2009 I discovered they offered four levels of audio Nirvana. In the UK we start at level 2 as Volvo's sold here are quite well specified from standard; in Spain they started at the bottom. My 'level 2' Volvo sound system is superb and the best standard system I have heard in any car. I once experienced their level 3 audio system in a loan car and it was astonishingly good as for their top level, I can only imagine how good that would be.

fatmarley likes this.
  4. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Its about running costs at that budget. Since only 4 or 5 makers do estates that large, it's down to which will cost you least to run, but at your budget there are nil certainties. It will be old, high mileage and therefore need occasional work. Merc, Volvo and Subaru all regularly run over 200,000 so I'd be looking for whichever make had a good local service garage for it. Parts for all of those are not cheap, subaru and merc being about =. The other two choices are probably a Mondeo (much newer in your budget) or Toyota avensis. Those two would be my choice. Both are large comfy and cheaper to run. The toyota is smaller for loads but far more reliable if you get a decent one with FMDSH, but the Mondeo is larger and cheaper to care for. Toss a coin.

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Surely the Toyota isn’t in the running due to load space alone?

6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

Skoda Superb Estate is well worth considering too, my second car

7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I doubt there’ll be a Superb estate anywhere near the OP‘A budget, but there’ll be a few Octavias.

8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I doubt there’ll be a Superb estate anywhere near the OP‘s budget, but there’ll be a few Octavias.

9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Might be some Mk 1s around...they've been going a while.

10. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Looks like another V70 then. We have a retirement property which requires a lot of movingstuff from our current house and many trips to the dump. The current one has done 266k and the engine is starting to make very loud tappet noises, the ABS light comes on and the MOT runs out at the end of the month. Bought it for £900 a year ago specifically to help my wife move office. It has paid for itself as hiring vans would have been as expensive and having the hassle of picking it and and returning them.

Darren and Tony Lockhart like this.
  11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The abs light could possibly be solved by simply cleaning the sensors and the pick ups. That’s for free. A tappety engine won’t fail the MoT. At least then, ‘if’ it can pass the MoT it’ll have some value. I’d add Slick 50 to the engine oil to sell it on. Not that I’ve ever done that, of course.

12. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

In that size class you basically have the Merc E (a bit bigger), the Audi A6 (about the same), the BMW 5 (always feels smaller to me), the Skoda Superb (very long) and the V70. All nice cars. I would think the Merc and the V70 would be the most reliable in that lot, the Merc the most comfortable to drive (although Volvo front seats are fantastic) but probably the most expensive to buy and maintain.
    As an alternative, an unfashionable people carrier like a Chrysler Voyager or Renault Espace can be had for not much money. We got rid of my wife's Espace recently, 15 years old with a large diesel and almost no mileage on it, and we struggled to get 4 figures for it. Great car for carrying lots of stuff.

13. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

A friend of mine used an old Merc estate as a house rebuild skip. I cannot remember the number of trips - he kept count but it was a lot. Sold it at the end after a bit of a clean up for about the same money!

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's bangernomics for you. My old Mondeo cost me more in repairs than it ever did in deprecation, over 4 years and 60k miles. Depreciation was about £500 over that time, annual repairs ranged from £200 to £500 depending on what it needed. I budgeted £1000 a year to cover tax, insurance, MoT and servicing, ie everything other than fuel.

15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I've fancied a V70 for ages. Now that diesel's getting tough to take into towns I'm not sure which I'd go for.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If you do big miles and don't go into London diesel is still worth it and they sell cheap. Petrol all the way if do do 10k miles a year or less. The difficulty is finding a large petrol car built in the last 10 years.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Indeed, that's the problem. Look at E class, V70 or Superb built before 2015 and they're all diesel.

Current car is the ultimate compromise: Octavia L&K DSG with the 1.9TDi (remapped) on a 55 plate. Bought it 3.5 years ago with just 40k miles on for cash as an emergency purchase. Other than routine stuff it's needed an alternator. I've added 73k to it over that time and it's been absolutely bullet proof. I'm willing to bet it could do half a million (I'm very meticulous with things like DSG oil, etc). The only thing that will kill it is boredom on my part or legislation I suppose.

BUT, it wold be nice to have something a bit bigger, a bit comfier, better radio, and an estate. That's probably V70 (or E/Superb). But to buy a (say) 8 year old V70 diesel with most of its life ahead of it...will the world have overtaken me long, long before I would be wanting to retire it? Probably talking 2030 if it's a nice one (it would be).

No wonder folk are taking the hit and leasing turbo petrols. I wouldn't be confident about actually buying one, but you can see the attraction in having one for 3 years and then handing the potential problems on.

18. Darren

Darren All Business

Believe it or not I owned one of those in 2 litre petrol VTec guise and It wasnt especially reliable ( that era of Vtec engines suffer from premature cam shaft failure which is expensive to sort out) and the exhaust for the estate model was fortunes. It was however capacious.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Probably, if the DSG held on. I went in a taxi Octavia that had 385k, the major bits were fine. It had had clutches for fun, brakes every year or so, suspension bushes, everything. The interior was shot and there were bushes knocking on every corner. But it was still running, 2 drivers shared it and it rolled day and night. However cars with this many miles throw up strange faults. How about a worn out clutch pedal? No, I'm not kidding.
    Indeed. I wouldn't want to be an early adopter unless I knew the end point or did my usual banger trick and bought it so cheap that I could bin it when something nasty let go.

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

That is a UK specific choice, Malaysia is a RHD market and diesel cars are rare.
    Unfortunately estates are really rare here.