1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Volvo v70 replacement

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

UK forum, UK original post, almost all replies are from UK members.

I really don’t think there’s that much interest from Brits in the specifics of the Malaysian used car market!

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Well, yes of course. The op lives in the UK, so do I. I don't know about Malaysia, nor do I pretend to. The context here is the UK.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I was just commenting that the same RHD car model is sold in other markets with petrol engines, so for the manufacturer to switch from the diesel only of recent times to petrol options is not a big deal.
    Meanwhile I now know to look out for some interesting used imports from the UK. The trouble is that some of these are UK write offs or even stolen

4. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Rather than start a new topic, my old runabout is now worth less than zero, so need a new one. have found a suitable replacement at an ESCROW in Germany, hence my question.

What is an ESCROW, and should I be wary buying a car at one?

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The cars were available in petrol variants in the UK, the thing is that tax was so heavily skewed in favour of diesel from about 2005 or so that nobody bought petrol. Diesel is now the bogeyman so will be taxed out of existence, but there is the existingg used vehicle pool to exhaust still. In 10 years ' time the pool will be full of small turbo petrols and hybrids, but for now the used big car market in the UK is very diesel heavy.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No wariness required. It's a secure means of payment. You pay Escrow, the car is yours. When you inspect the car, if it's as described, you release the funds and the sale is completed. The seller knows that you are serious because once the money is in Escrow you can't get it back without good reason. If the car is a dog or non existent, you pull the Escrow and the money is safe.

Alternatively, an Escrow is an old Ford model. They are all rather old by now and to be honest weren't great cars when they were new, so with the exception of certain high performance variants I'd steer clear.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  8. avole

Thanks, Steve, you've been a great help. Might just go for it, when the chap sends me the details.

stevec67 and Tony Lockhart like this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The Escrow RS 2000 was a famous car, it won lots of rallies in spite of the fact that it would only start when both the driver and the passenger turned the key at the same time.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  10. How about a Seat Alhambra, I had a couple of these as Company cars when my kids were small. You can take all the seats out use it like a van.

I’ve had a Passat Estate and currently have a Skoda Superb, would recommend either.

Cheers BB

11. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

The problem with older people carriers is storage of the seats and they are very heavy to move about. I Have owned Galaxy and a Fiat Doblo and my back definitely prefers that I no longer own them.

12. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

And the truth is a few years old Superb estate is all the car I would ever need. But my heart wants that V70!

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

just buy a berlingo :)

14. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

If you have a V70 and like it, get another. There are plenty about. Petrol versions can be a bit heavy on fuel, and I would avoid the 140bhp ones, the D5 is the one to go for (NOT the early 2000-onwards shape with the 2.5 VAG diesel engine), do be careful, they made one with a detuned 136 bhp D5 diesel engine badged '2.4D', make sure it is the 163 or later 185 bhp version.

I got rid of mine last year with 307,000 miles on it as it would have really started to cost money soon, sold it with a full MOT for £600 to some swarthy Romanians. Wanted another, bought a £450 Golf 1600 as a stopgap, and then got a Vauxhall Signum - nearly as big loadspace, but not nearly as nice a car - as there were no decent V70s around within budget. I would have another like a shot.

15. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

If you do go for one, be careful that the stereo works. There's a common fault with the head-unit that means the Radio cuts out, but the CD continues to work. It generally affects FM, but mine does it on both FM and AM. I'm going to try a replacement aerial amplifier, and if that doesn't work will be installing a bluetooth module behind the head-unit. When it works, the sound is fabulous.

16. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

???

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Edited! I mastered the copy but struggling with the paste obviously!

19. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

Mr Cat and Nic Robinson like this.
  20. avole

DIESEL