1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Volvo v70 replacement

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Lovely looking car but not wanting to spend more than £1800. I will stick to petrol as they are generally cheaper and given it will do no more than 2K a year I don’t need the economy of a diesel. Engine bhp is equally unimportant.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Heavy price for an 8 year old car. A nice car, but in 10years it's dead. It wants to be everything it claims to be, serviced on the button and in perfect order.

3. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

It’s power output is basically the same as my older S60 that has the older version of the D5 engine. I’d say after a Skoda you’ll find it sufficient! It’s the best diesel I’ve had.

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I have checked. That V70 D3 is London ULEZ compliant too. Nice looking car and loads of life left in it

5. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have a V70 with the D5 diesel engine. Love it to bits. You can throw anything in it and at it. Had it from new for 5 years now and nothing ever gone wrong. There is nothing to compare with it. They don't make them now.

6. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Great car. It’s sad to think the main factor limiting your V70’s lifespan will be government policy.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Volvo cabins are a nice place to be, very comfy. I came very close splashing some big cash on a new XC60. But I am shallow and badge snobbery got the better of me....so it's back to Porsche again.

8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I've just been looking at the Volvo UK website. In the Offers section there are some attractive lease deals for S90 and V90. I'm guessing they might be releasing a facelift or new model soon, as they make the Merc and BMW deals look silly.

And I've a 21ft long garage ;)

9. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

A friend of mine has leased (PCH) a new V90 estate. All the toys, a lovely thing. I think it was about £280 a month on a 3+23 profile including VAT. 10K miles per annum including VED and shouldn’t need servicing or tyres. If you want to run a new car, it’s just not worth buying the thing, particularly with unknowns over diesel residuals.

Tony Lockhart and gintonic like this.
  10. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Chap I was with last night was recounting that he had been offered a Range Rover Velar for £250 a month. He only said no as it he thought it was too big for him. No idea what the rest of the terms were - but it shows that cars have to be shifted with stonking offers at the moment.

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I didn’t know Volvo was something brand snobs avoided.

12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

it's a relative thing......

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

If you drove a Rolls, I might agree.

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Most certainly these days. Times move on, and fashionable brands. Volvo is no longer the choice of the sensible family man who wants to be seen as such. It's not the 80s and 90s any more.

15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Really Steve? Round here the XC90 seems to be one of the SUVs to have.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Maybe it's moved on again. I'm not a marketing manager and I'm sure Volvo are chasing the market. However you must admit that they have been well behind the curve for years compared to the German brands and where they were in the 80s and 90s as absolutely the sensible man's choice.

17. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

For me, and this is a strange thing for me to say, current Volvos are better looking than their German equivalents.
    Add that to their reportedly solid build and legendary comfort, I’d find one very tempting if I were in the market.

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I'm sure Steve's right to an extent and my (slight brand snob) friend who is far more interested in cars than me has an E class.

19. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Why do you think in 10 years it will be dead? I thought the UK wasn’t planning to ban diesel and petrol-based cars until 2040?

My wife’s 2004 XC70 is going on 16 years old, but with just under 100,000 miles, everything still works as new. Not a single major repair to date, just routine maintenance. Worst monetary hit was preemptive replacement of the serpentine belt.

Nic - that V70 looks like a very good deal. Good luck!

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Because not very many cars go much beyond 18 years old. They hand in a bill or two, people won't spend the money. Test it for yourself, go out and see how many pre 2000 cars are out there. Volvo or not. I'd say it was about 1 or 2% of the populationare here in the UK. They don't need to outlaw them, they'll kill them by taxation like my Mondeo and by emissions taxes the way they already are in London. The Ulez isn't getting any smaller, cheaper or less stringent in the next decade, we all know.