1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cctaylor, Dec 1, 2019.

1. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Been watching this on BBC, the opening titles say based on the book by HG Wells. Inspired by would be far more appropriate. Apart from the opening premise the plot doesn't really follow the book. ( Just re-read it to refresh my memory).

Jeff Wayne's concept album was much closer.

Hoopsontoast likes this.
  2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I quite enjoyed it for what it is

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

No-one has ever managed to produce an adaptation that accurately follows the book. Not even Jeff. :)

4. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Wasn't Peter Jackson supposed to be making his own adaptation that would follow the book?.. given his previous work, it would be very interesting indeed. I found the BBC version equally disappointing like the OP.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Bizarrely Jeff gets about the closest as I recall (I read it as a kid)!

6. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

No one would have believed... it

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

What a load of ballocks. I read the original just a couple of years ago, its still an excellent read. I hope somebody at the Beeb is getting a good kicking for this one.

8. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

Jeff had Richard. Richard brought gravitas to everything and anything. Broadsword calling Danny Boy.

9. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Very long time since I read the original and I love Wells' writing. 'Men Like Gods' would make a terrific film. This BBC version.. which promised so much at the start.. descended into a mess. Even the actors didn't seem to know which flashback they were in.. A wasted opportunity.

MikeMA likes this.
  10. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

There is a decent reading of the book on BBC sounds - recommended.

All I'll remember from the TV travesty is the womans face expressing a variety of misery. Maybe that was the point, but it made for a shite, boring programme.

And what was the budget? Tuppence?

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

We survived the first 30 minutes of the first episode and had already spotted the signs of a poxy, weak, period costume drama. No thanks.

moffer and lazycat like this.
  12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I enjoyed the first two episodes but the final one seemed to descend into a 'Threads' style dystopian misery

13. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

I watched all three last night. I enjoyed the first two but the last one seemed like three episodes pushed into one.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Don't spoil the ending for me. Not watched it all yet ;)

15. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Steve,

Whatever you do, do NOT click the play button!

Joe

mykel and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  16. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

What a magnificent voice that man had. and what a great LP in its time. Not heard it for ages.

17. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I thought it was desperately slow last night, just managed to stay awake but I was relieved when the news came on!

More a tenth of an episode padded out than three pushed into one.

Tempted to read the book again though; all a bit hazy after 55 years.

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Very poor third episode.

19. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I watched the first episode but probably won't bother with the rest. The book itself is very short, so I guess some padding-out was inevitable.

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Agreed. Thought the first was interesting if a little bizarre. Halfway through the second we decided not to watch the third (last night). Judging by comments up post we didn't miss anything.