1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cctaylor, Dec 1, 2019.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

You certainly didn't. Three hours of my life I won't get back.

2. garyi

garyi leave blank

I actually like the Tom Cruise film, but the plot made no sense what so ever, i.e. why? Why in that version did they want to zap down to earth into robots they buried 1000s of years ago.

3. tones

tones Tones deaf

Agreed. I managed to miss the first two episodes but I always hoped that someone would produce an authentic version of Wells's book. This last gloomy, rather perplexing episode didn't look at all good to me. Admittedly I was disadvantaged because I didn't know who the characters were and it took a while to realise that a lot of it was flashback. Waste of an hour. The definitive visual version remains to be made.

4. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

You were warned ;)

5. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I'd seen the first but missed the second. Watched last night's episode and it felt more like an ordeal than light entertainment. Pap.

6. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

It made for a good set-piece and the film is full of them.

I liked the film except for the annoying children.. At least it was entertaining and occasionally scary - the bit with the ferry sticks out.

7. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

We saw all three episodes. I was complaining to mein schatz from the start.
    Endless lingering shots on the female lead, especially close-ups of her face whilst she looked wistfully into the distance. Flashing lights and 'shakey-cam' in abundance. Most of all, the muddled storyline. Atrocious.

I note the Daily Mail initially praised the forthcoming programme, then slated it today, with a "leftie anti-british" angle.

For a programme that aired after 9 o'clock in the evening, it felt more child friendly than Dr. Who.

(currently listening to Jeff Wayne - the David Essex bit...)

lazycat likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The one thing I liked was the Martians had a kind of Francis Bacon look to them!

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

My paper's review of the first episode was two stars (/5) and that of the second episode was 1 star. I've never seen a no star review so they obviously took the simpler route with no review at all for the 3rd episode.

10. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

"Illegal Immigrant Martians.. coming here and eating us...." "I blame the EU"

Sloop John B likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Maybe they should've had a Mars bar in place; red passports only.

12. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

I’m probably not going to indulge episode 3, asides from the hand wringing post colonial guilt Weltschmerz that the beeb regularly trots out, it is once again the inability to tell a story and conclude it satisfactorily.

The pointless protracted camera work on the lead female (at least not accompanied with music) is completely lame, if no dialogue is required move onto the next scene, as viewers I reckon we can form our own emotions without it being needlessly s-e-m-a-p-h-o-r-e-d on our behalf.

Robert Carlyle - what was he wasting his time for here?

If you want to watch something on the box that is engaging, well acted, bloat free and gripping try season 2 of The Sinner which is everything that WOTW isn’t.

13. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

The cgi creatures were sub scifi channel, I so wanted it to be good but alas a waste of time.

14. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

I'm going to make my own with sock puppets. And one of those lemon squeezers...

[​IMG]

stephen bennett, vuk and Joe Hutch like this.
  15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

A friend of mine has one of those lemon squeezers. As a means of squeezing lemons it is fairly useless, the stuff goes everywhere. It probably makes better sense made into a sock-alien.

JensenHealey likes this.
  16. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Where is poldark? he would save the day, but probbaly not the series.

Pete

17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

and take his shirt off.

18. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The first episode was okayish and then everything went downhill. Watched the third instalment last night and it was incredibly depressing, from the acting through the story to the colour of the sky and earth. Are the humans all dead now? They deserve to be for putting on that tripe.

Jack

lazycat and Joe Hutch like this.
  19. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

stephen bennett likes this.
  20. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Haven't seen Star Trek Discovery. Did I miss anything?

Jack