1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

War of the Worlds

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cctaylor, Dec 1, 2019.

1. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Oh, yes.

peter312 and stephen bennett like this.
  2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I did laugh when demelza was at the beach staring out to sea.

Pete

3. bob

bob pfm Member

No cos it was only 3 episodes, Discovery went on for 2 years.

stephen bennett likes this.
  4. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

Yebbut episode 3 felt like 2 years.

5. juz400

juz400 pfm Member

Good to know that this is one to pass on, I will have to dust of my CD and give it another listen, I still get that weird goosebumpy feeling when they play Forever Autumn on the radio, spent hours studying the Artwork in the 12" Album as a kid.
    If you want some classic 80`s chedder, check out the War of the Worlds season 1. It was on LATE night TV in the UK 1990-91, I really enjoyed it back then and was disapointed that they didnt show season 2 but after watching it a few years back
    Im glad they didnt show it!

Anyone check out the Live show?

6. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

HG Wells did not stint from sceptism about Imperialism - and it is expressed in the book, quite plainly. I didn't have a problem with the TV adaptation trying to put that forwards in the drama, shame the rest of the thing was so rubbish.

From Chapter 1 "The Eve of War"
    And before we judge of them too harshly we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals, such as the vanished bison and the dodo, but upon its inferior races. The Tasmanians, in spite of their human likeness, were entirely swept out of existence in a war of extermination waged by European immigrants, in the space of fifty years. Are we such apostles of mercy to complain if the Martians warred in the same spirit?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  7. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

It started with some promise in episode 1 then went downhill thereafter , as others have said episode 3 was dire , they had a good story as a basis and made a complete hash of it ! This is why I hate paying the licence fee

tqineil likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I waited many years to achieve free licence status, and now they're reintroducing the fee from June next year, just 'cos the government dumped the responsibility on the BBC. Every year I get a (free) paper licence; what a pointless exercise. Did the BBC suggest a fractional fee? Nope; the full monty.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    tqineil likes this.
  9. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

Blame the government, not the BBC.

Covkxw and tqineil like this.
  10. claire.foxx

claire.foxx Gender Traitor

Give ‘em enough tripe.

tqineil and jackbarron like this.
  11. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

It stank, let’s be honest

12. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

A dire last episode.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I'll hedge my bets and blame both; they're both incompetent, inefficient, wasteful and downright heartless. Now where's my book of adjectives..........

14. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

The lighting used in the series was more appropriate for a radio program. At least you can see the characters and buildings in The Archers.

15. Cav

Cav pfm Member

The ending of the last episode a "to be continued" vibe; I pray it is not.

16. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

3 hours of my life wasted.
    Remember the fifties film - still better than this pile of utter -----.

moffer likes this.
  17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

nah, the gay one and the fornicator were both dead and plants were growing elsewhere than hallowed ground just as the sun broke through.
    ‘Tis Over

18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

19. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The BBC built that one up for ages and it was all a bit of a letdown. Episode one was OK and the rest was, well, meh.

Another opportunity for a much needed faithful adaptation of a great book, utterly wasted.

20. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

It always says Series 1 on any new series on iPlayer Freeview guide etc. Doesn't mean there's a Series 2 coming.

The Martians in the book are very different with tentacles rather than legs, sort of cross between a squid and a prawn.