1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterbed....any good for a very sore lower back ?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by steveledzep, May 5, 2015.

1. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

I have had lower back trouble for a number of years now. Physiotherapy and exercise hasn't helped, neither has acupuncture.

A client of mine told me a waterbed sorted his problem and advised me to invest in one. I visited a retailer today and I must confess, I felt very comfortable with support all over.

The sales patter is very convincing and I'm very tempted.

Anyone on here able to reflect on their own personal experiences with a waterbed please ? Benefits and disadvantages welcome. Thank you.

2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

We have a memory foam mattress its very comfortable, worth trying one out before committing to a waterbed.

Pete

3. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

We have a memory foam one too and can't recommend it enough. Support all over without the movement I assume is part and parcel of the waterbed experience.

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Memory foam is great but can make some people sweat up like a racehorse.

A waterbed needs to be plugged in to keep the water warm and needs a ground floor room.

5. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

Be very careful of throwing your money at back pain.
    In my 30+ years experience of seeing people with these problems a change of bed or pillows is very likely to make chronic back or neck problems worse.
    I would recommend 'proper' pilates classes.

Simon

6. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

There is generally no need to limit a waterbed to the ground floor. Apart from making a lousy dining table, water beds are designed to distribute the undeniable mass over a wide footprint. Certainly any house built to recent building regs should support the weight without issue.

I had one for years and it was very lovely. But memory foam mattresses are probably just as comfortable and supportive for most people (except those with race horse type sweat patterns).

7. One can do more damage to a back getting off a water bed and with the waves when moving.
    They can also be very cold if not heated.
    As a general rule for back sufferers a bed should be high as possible to make getting off and on as easy as possible with a quality firm mattress.

8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

had a memory foam mattress for about 3 months about 4 years ago - and it was too hot and sweaty for us. In the end we bit the bullet and got a V-Spring zip link mattress - so I could have firm and the Mrs medium, was very expensive (about £2.5k from memory) but worth every penny

9. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I used to have back pain, got a new orthopaedic bed 35 years ago and i'm still better.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I do not believe a water bed is good for a bad back. Jiggy jig on one is awful for your back, take my word for it. Don't do it.

11. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I am amazed at the posts on here.

I have had chronic back pain for 20 years on and off.

It is now exacerbated by osteo-arthritis in both hips.

I have had an orthopaedic mattress for years.

When it is bad I cannot bear to lie on anything with any give in it at all.

I can only get to sleep on a rug on the floor.

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yoga and/or Pilates.
    A quality mattress like ViSpring.

14. Retro

Retro pfm Member

Hi Steve,

We have had a water a bed for going on 3 years and it is the best decision we ever made. My wife has a painful hip and direct pressure on it which is inevitable on a standard bed, was most uncomfortable. The water bed has made things much more comfortable.
    Water beds are always heated, so are lovely and warm to get into. This makes a big difference to how relaxed you feel and has certainly helped our sleep. (Ignore any comments about downstairs only, that is pure nonsense)
    Another unexpected side effect of the heated bed is that it makes my wife feel warm (she generally feels the cold) whilst I don't overheat in the bed. I think the water (even warm water conducts the heat away from me) and stops me boiling over. We have slept on a memory foam and it was way too hot. I also think memory foam is stupidly expensive. Our water bed was less than £1000 for a superking. Can't imagine doing anything else next time.

Regards,

Graham.

15. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Thank you for your contributions, I expected conflicting opinions.

My middle name is Arkle, so a memory foam jobbie is a "non-starter".

I have to say, the standard surrounds and headboards available for waterbeds leave a great deal to be desired !

The supplier I'm talking to has indicated that it's probably possible to fit a waterbed within our king size sleigh bed frame. Going to investigate that tomorrow.

The alternative is a mattress suggested by DV and gintonic - thanks guys.

My wife has not tried a waterbed yet, so she will accompany me tomorrow. I suspect that she will like the warmth from the mattress. The last comment from Retro interests me as it suggests the water can be an aid to warmth for my wife, yet an aid to cooling for me as it is still a relatively low temperature.

16. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

+1
    I've got the Back in action spec mattress, wouldn't be without it.

17. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Invest in a Feldenkrais 1-1 session :)

18. I spend a lot of time in bed.
    And get through around 3 king size mattresses a year mainly because i have to use my elbows to turn and i end up with big holes.:mad:

19. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I've had recurrent lower back problems for over 30 years. I've come to the conclusion that nothing is universally "good" or "bad," but that each person finds what helps him/her, be it forms of exercise, therapy and mattresses. One person I knew found that taking a mild tranquilliser eliminated severe back pain, presumably it was the result of tension getting concentrated on a couple of specific vertebrae. Obviously one cannot spend the rest of one's life taking tranquillisers, but it just goes to show how personal and tension-related this can be.

20. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Would recommend that you do not purchase a pilates machine or try home yoga, at least initially. Find a teacher you like and go to a class otherwise you will probably be doing more harm than good.