1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Way to go Greta

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

A graphical reminder of where we are and how quickly we got here.

[​IMG]

The Medieval Warm Period might look counterintuitive, but it was not a global phenomenon. That period of warming was localized to the North Atlantic.

Joe

2. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

It's the second year in a row Greta has been nominated for a Nobel Prize. She definitely deserves to win one.

Jack

vuk and tuga like this.
  3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I rather hope it's not. Something like a herring or sardine exists in its billions and doesn't shag the planet.

Rockmeister likes this.
  4. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Just watched 2040. It was made to give hope without much mention of the consequences, but the pessimistic side of me thinks the greedy rich that control the media, and hence how people think and vote, will ruin any chance of hope.

Maybe not the most exciting movie but everyone should watch it. Certainly made me think...

jackbarron likes this.
  5. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

gintonic likes this.
  6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

An interesting view from a Swede.

Doesn't seem bigoted.

7. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

How much of what she said is a fact? I heard lots of opinions but no hard facts. Think I'll listen to qualified scientists or economists rather than some random person that wants to blame everything on immigrants.

8. tuga

tuga European

Gaycha likes this.
  9. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

10. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

No, did you find it helped you? Well done.
    Of course it's opinion, like everything here. It's also counter point, and that upsets some, like Tuga above. But he is getting help, so that's great for him.

I am in Sweden a few times each year and have been travelling there since the 90s, so have seen many changes. Generally a thoughtful and quiet nation,. They are becoming more outspojen. Of course they experienced the most recent assassination of a pm when Olaf palm was killed. They know tolerance and that is changing.

11. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

not sure why you found that worth posting. the young woman rambles all over the place and, other than "left is bad", there is no logical coherence.

Fatmarley likes this.
  12. tuga

tuga European

Nice interview this morning on Radio 4:

Myles Allen on understanding climate change
    The Life Scientific

Professor Myles Allen has spent thirty years studying global climate change, trying to working out what we can and can't predict. He was one of the first scientists to quantify the extent to which human actions are responsible for global warming. As a lead author on the 3rd Assessment by the International Panel on Climate Change in 2001, he concluded that ‘most of the observed global warming was due to human influence’. More recently, (having established that calculating a safe concentration of greenhouse gases was very difficult indeed), he worked out instead how many tonnes of carbon would be acceptable, a shift in emphasis that paved the way for the current Net Zero carbon emissions policy. Myles tells Jim Al-Khalili how our ability to predict climate change has evolved from the early days when scientists had to rely on the combined computing power of hundreds of thousands of personal computers. He sheds light on how the IPCC works and explains why, he believes, fossil fuel industries must be forced to take back the carbon dioxide that they emit. If carbon capture and storage technologies makes their products more expensive, so be it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fgcn

roman, jackbarron and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  13. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Thunberg is visiting my home town of Bristol tomorrow to address a green rally. 25000 predicted Our kids been given day off but now police are recommending kids not to go, because of fears of crushing etc.

Not sure what the agenda is, although Bristol is declared UKs greenest city (not sure what exact metrics are) so she may be preaching to the converted.

Her private charter jet will do a fly pass above the Clifton suspension bridge later in the day. *

*ok I made that up

14. bob

bob pfm Member

'Aw shite, she's back early'
    'Put the lights oot'
    That was brilliant.

15. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

How dare you! Lol
    Agree there is no more or less logical coherence than "you have stolen my childhood". That was the point.

Young folk need their voices to be heard, however you may interpret them. Whether you or I agree, or if it suits one's own dogma, is moot. If we want young uns to speak out we have to hear their views, agreeable or not.

Or we just end up teaching them our own selectively bias.

16. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

Greta Thunberg joins thousands at youth climate strike in Bristol – watch live

Greta on stage @ 0:51 minutes...