1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Way to go Greta

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Joe, why are you so defensive?

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Chops,

I’m not being defensive. I’m trying to figure out what your point is.

This is a public board and what anyone writes can be read by others. You made an assertion and I asked for clarification. If you don’t want to reply that’s fine. You’re under no obligation to reply to me or anyone else. But it can’t be surprising that someone asks that you back up your assertion.

Joe

Still likes this.
  3. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

there's reason for that. It's because, if we don't do something now, we are all going to die, and really quite soon.
    I think that's a reasonable reason for concern, even though I won't be around to notice.

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

this is true..............

Rockmeister and Cheese like this.
  5. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Joe, I read an article recently in the Guardian I think about monetarising global warming. Companies were describing ways of cashing in on global warming. Their only interest was making money with no actual concern about the situation itself.

You’ll have to forgive me if I don’t explain myself too well. Our backgrounds are entirely different.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

So we're talking air conditioning suppliers, refrigeration engineers, and choc ice manufacturers then? Not much of a list.

Still likes this.
  7. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Great marketing ploy using children to promote a cause IMO. Has any of the green taxes actually done anything to save the planet yet? Is there any truth in Piers Corbyns science?

8. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

lol

9. Joe P

Amaze,

You have the sequence of events reversed. Greta spoke out about a cause she believes in and people listened.

As for Piers’s science, it ain’t science.

Green taxes haven’t saved the world the same way that medical research hasn’t cured every disease.

Joe

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes. Plastic bag charges in supermarkets have reduced single use bag sales by either 75% or 90%, I forget the exact statistic. So there's one, off the top of my head.

I know for myself I reuse bags until they are knackered, then I cash them in against new ones or put them in the recyc bin. If I forget to bring any bags I nick an outer case and shove my shopping in that. Win-win, the supermarket doesn't have to pay to have the trays removed, I save a bag, the tray gets another run out and goes in my recyc bin.

11. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Speaking of plastic bags, weren't the charge supposed to go to charities? I haven't heard anything about this since, but then I haven't bothered to look. Nice not to use plastic, but now our local Morrisons is only supplying paper bags at a cost of 20p, it's always a case of follow the money.
    Green taxes are a scam, no one can convince me otherwise and it's the poorest it affects most.

12. Joe P

Still likes this.
  13. Joe P

Chops,

Opportunists are everywhere, and it would be naïve to think someone who could not care less about climate change is somehow making money because of it, but the real bucks have always been elsewhere.

According to Wikipedia, these are the top 20 companies by revenue —

[​IMG]

Companies that extract and refine oil and gas and companies that rely on oil and gas dominate the list.

Joe

jackbarron and Still like this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Explains why you are so ill informed.

Yes, they are stopping the 5p bags and only supplying the tough multi-use ones so that people don’t throw them away. It's a stated policy across most of the multiples.

No they aren’t.
    What a surprise. I don’t give a flying one.
    No it’s not. The poor can take their shopping home in a cardboard box costing Fanny Adams or bring their own bag, for Fanny Adams again, just the same as I can.

Still likes this.
  15. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

as is the 'really quite soon' bit.

16. clifftaylor

Why don't you take your own bags (made of whatever you like) to Morrisons? There won't be any "money to follow" then, will there??

17. amazement

amazement pfm Member

Green
    always taken our own bags, I was just making a point.

18. clifftaylor

Which point were you making?

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The point that he has strong opinions about plastic bags in spite of "not having bothered to look" at any actual facts.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, ff1d1l and Still like this.
  20. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

jackbarron likes this.