1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Way to go Greta

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

The plastic bag thing is literally a drop in the bucket, or what some refer to as greenwashing. I'm really not trying to be negative Nancy about it --It's just another perspective, albeit a dire one, no doubt.

Our problem isn't any group of things we can alter through individual actions, even on a large scale. And that's because it's truly a predicament of being in a square corner with multiple vectors of collapse already present or on the horizon.

The issue at heart is that our entire industrialized system of life is destroying the planet. The only way I can imagine mitigating the effects of this, because there is no way to prevent what is already baked-in, would be to de-industrialze. And the odds of that happening are very slim because that presents its own form of collapse.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

sounds like some holidays i've been on

So polluting the ocean by sh**ting over the side.......

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Just like several million seals do, unless you are aware of them now having Portaloos in the mid Atlantic. The natural waste produced by the microscopically small numbers of people in yachts in the middle of the Atlantic is not pollution, it's merely food. Not food that you and I would recognise, but a food source to organisms at the bottom (ho ho) of the food chain.

ff1d1l, sean99 and Still like this.
  4. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

I'm not sure that single use plastic items (bags) directly links with C02 and man made climate change, does it?

However, I'm very against single use plastics. We just don't need these items, but they are forced upon us daily.

Anyone thought about the current trend within commercial aerospace manufacture to push out single use plastic planes? 787, A350 etc? When these reach the end of their life they will not be turned into drinks cans.

How many of you use coffee pods? Why do we have plastic lids on waxed card coffee cups?

Greta's yacht is also a single use plastic item.

5. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Figuratively dear, figuratively.

Marky-Mark likes this.
  6. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

How did they do this to you?

Not single use or plastic - resin and carbon composite, but Boeing and Airbus have thought about recycling the aircraft you refer to.

Boeing developing ways to recycle composite 787 material

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2011/10/06/boeing-developing-ways-to-recycle.html

An Airbus working group sets out a composites recycling roadmap

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/new...-sets-out-a-composites-recycling-roadmap.html

Unexpected item in the uninformed area.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No it’s not. It has a service life like many other manufactured items, but it can be used many times.

8. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Thanks! I neglected the importance of writing in a strictly formal style when circling around the topic of extinction even when no one else is.

But I confess to being unsure what relevance 'dear' has to anything other than being another PFM OT Jerry Springerism. 'Dear', BTW, should be preceded by a comma. But only if we're playing fair. Which I know we're not!

9. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Standards dear, standards. A comma is generally used where there is a break in speech, such as taking a breath. or to separate subjects. Shoots eats and leaves.

10. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

11. Joe P

I've read that whales also poo in the ocean, creating tornados of poo — poonados if you will.

Why can't they come on land and take a dump at a department store crapper while their wives are shopping like the rest of us?!?

Joe

12. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

All just empty virtue signalling.

Time to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies...

13. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Assume for a minute that you forget your bamboo coffee mug and then try and buy a take away coffee from a UK Costa /Starbucks without a plastic lid. You'll get quite an argument and the manager will refuse to sell you the coffee without the lid.

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I bet a whale's fart is fantastic. Do you reckon they all gather around giggling to see who can get the biggest cloud of guff without following through?

15. steve watkins

steve watkins pfm Member

Isn't that how they put rings around their prey to make them rise to the surface, gasping for oxygen, before they gobble them up. Dirty devils!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Sure. But since you're using 'dear' not as a common noun, adjective or adverb, but instead as a pejorative replacement of my name to address me, I would - as a matter of form - treat it like a proper noun and precede it with a comma. Such as if I were to decide your posting name of awkwardbydesign wasn't as much to my liking as, say, arsewipe. I would write something like, "Yes, arsewipe, I understand you can't help but troll people senselessly, but ...."

I don't know how correct or incorrect my take on it is, and I'm not going to spend a second to google it.

But back to 'literally' in the informal. I'll take what the dictionary on my Mac has to say about its informal usage as valid:

• informal used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true: I have received literally thousands of letters.

usage: In its standard use, literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a nonliteral or exaggerated sense’: I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn't expect him to take it literally. In recent years, an extended use of literally(and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in nonliteral contexts, for added effect: they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects ( we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal English.

I kindly suggest we should now limit ourselves to the thread topic rather than this ...stuff.

17. Joe P

Steve,

It's not as impressive as you might think.

Well, certainly not in the same league as the Critic's epic burp.

Joe

jackbarron likes this.
  18. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

And as more ice melts during melt season, the ocean warms through absorption, rather than reflection, of the sun's rays, leading to a blue ocean event that most climate scientists agree signals a major step towards runaway hothouse earth.

19. Joe P

Marky,

Yup, one of the many positive feedback loops — melting of Arctic snow and ice lowering surface albedo, further warming the Earth — that keeps me up at night.

Joe

20. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

The UN's summary report (40 pages) of the multi-million dollar report due in the not too distant future refers to "transformational change" needing to happen NOW. And this is how they define it:

"By transformative change, we mean a fundamental, system-wide reorganization across technological, economic and social factors, including paradigms, goals and values.

While we're still talking about refusing plastic bags at the grocery. Talk about a non-starter. Whew.