1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

We Have Plans......

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It’s all beautifully shielded and obscured from view by their latest all-consuming project. God only knows the implications of them taking back control of even more stuff to **** up.

kendo likes this.
  2. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

This ^^^^

We are in uncharted territory politically, the ruling party is not fit for purpose, but there is no opposition. If there was a general election tomorrow there is no one to vote for as no party has a cohesive plan that they truly believe in. It's not just Brexit, it's everything... we have a failing society and no one with any spine to get a grip and start sorting the problems out and doing things that are necessary, but unpopular like splitting up the NHS and re-focusing monies allocated for vanity projects like HS2 towards real issue like homelessness and child poverty. Foodbanks shouldn't even be in our vocabulary, it's disgusting what this country has become and yet all we do is whinge on the Internet.... myself included to be fair!

Snufkin, kendo and clivem2 like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I know this might sound ingenuous (and maybe is), but what the heck IS this child poverty that Gordon brown et al kept/keeps mentioning ? Children generally are in the keeping of their parent(s) so how can they be assessed as being 'poor', when most children must be poor in comparison to adults.

Is it an assessment based upon their parent(s)' lifestyle/income whatever or odd things like free school meals (is there still such a thing?) which again must be parent based. This is a serious question which nobody when asked has been able to answer.

I agree with half your post, TIGGERS, but fractions of a 'like' don't exist.:)

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Mike Reed likes this.
  5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

russel, Ragaman, Mullardman and 5 others like this.
  6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Nail hit on head. It sickens me to the core the way so many care more about baby seals in the Arctic than about actual human beings in 2019 UK having to decide between heating or eating and/or the stress of not knowing if they will have a roof over their heads in a months time driving them to the brink of suicide!

The very fact that Labours policies to actually do something about the plight facing so many in poverty are seen as a reason NOT to vote Labour by many makes me despair of humanity...

The evil perpetrated by this Tory gov should make them hopelessly unelectable in any decent society!

7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

And you think they'll actually do any of them or that any of them will even work? What is this, politics for 11 year olds?

naimplayer likes this.
  8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Yes and yes and it's politics for humans of all ages and not tory twats

Steve Taylor, Snufkin and billo like this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

SEEKER. Thanks; for some reason I cannot copy quotes. However, the first two para's in 'Reality' don't make sense; £58 to spare AFTER expenses and in the second, £96 per day 'TO COVER THESE THINGS' (i.e. expenses).

The second definition is of the family being in poverty, not the child except by consequence.

Whoever wrote that either doesn't express themselves well or has a peculiar mindset. You can only have child poverty if the child is supporting himself or purely as a consequence of his family, in which case it's family poverty, surely ! Besides, the figures quoted are arbitrary, simply to create an analysis. I remain unconvinced. Maybe I should ask Gordon Brown, because he made much of this somewhat (to me) nebulous statistic.

10. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Trouble is, Mull, many of us agree that it is indeed an almighty shit show, but reckon that it’s the result of DECADES of political incompetence on both sides of the divide... few trust politicians, as so few are trustworthy, & now we can watch the daily shenanigans live on TV.... it’s just embarrassing.

11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Don't worry, the way things are going, regulations and red-tape will be eliminated and kids will be free to earn an honest living again. It should then be possible to devise a meaningful measure of child poverty that meets your exacting standards.

Seriously, if someone's bleeding to death from a stomach wound do you complain about their dirty fingernails?

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

ok then, lets call it family poverty resulting in persistent child suffering.

13. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

The trouble is that the Tories (aided by the likes of the Express and the Mail) have done a very good job of convincing a lot of people that Labour will spend money we do not have to implement their policies while spending a whole heap of money we do not have to not implement theirs in any effective manner.

It's trendy these days to slag off Blair and while Iraq was a huge mistake (that saw me leave the Labour Party) a lot of the good things that we take for granted about society today were put in place by Blair and his government. That said even as a one time Labour Party member I have my doubts about Corbyn, he seems unable to give cohesive and consistent answers about policy and while he is right about a lot of the things he says about the Brexit shambles I am not altogether sure he would have done any better.

That said I am not sure he could be any worse than May who has proved so utterly inept at any form of genuine and decisive leadership for the nation instead of her own career that I seriously wonder how she got elected as an MP at all let alone to the lofty status of PM. It is also jawdropping how bad a negotiator she is and likewise her predecessor. Do they not have any advisors who know how to negotiate... basics like going into a negotiation with something to negotiate with other than a false sense of self worth and being prepared to walk away if you are not getting anything close to what you want.

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yup. The turkeys keep voting for Christmas. I'm growing tired of taking this particular horse to water. Maybe it needs to learn.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

What a peculiar analogy; way over my head.

Dunno about persistent or even suffering, but yes; exactly my point; it's simply poverty, which is and always has been pandemic, regardless of so-called advancing civilisation. I never became aware of the 'child poverty' claim before Gordon Brown, though it may had been political terminology beforehand. I'm of the opinion that it's a misnomer invented for political altruistic grandstanding.

16. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Does it matter who called it what? The point is it should not be happening in the "fith richest economy in the world" or is that over your head or just over your social justice quotient?

17. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

It seems to me that you are using semantics to avoid the issue.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

'It' ? What, general poverty ? Doesn't it happen in the other four richest countries in the world? It always will. everywhere. Many fewer nowadays than before, no doubt, if you use current statistical yardsticks. I grew up in what would now be called 'poverty' but we simply didn't realise; nor did my parents.

What issue, Mull ? I simply asked what the heck WAS 'child poverty' as no-one has been able to explain it to me in rational language. There IS no 'issue' in my mind; simply a question tinged with cynicism.

19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

And there we have it: there's absolutely nothing we can do about poverty. Keep calm and carry on voting Conservative.

20. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Child poverty is reduced the poorer the country is because it is defined as being lower than a set percentage of the average income/salary. So if after Brexit salaries drop then the amount of children living in poverty will reduce as overall incomes drop.

It is not a definition of the minimum standards that the child is living in ie number of meals a day, the amount of rooms or space the child and associated family live in, the access to education.