1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

WeChat? Any users?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Daughtter got me to install this as she's in China till Fri 22nd and apparently Whatsapp doesn't work there.
    Installed it a few days ago but lost password. Entirely my fault. But password recovery on this app is seemingly impossible. After five attempts still waiting for an email. Tried to uninstall and start again but can't do that till I can log in.
    Load of crap.

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

crap-chat doesn't sound any better than wee-chat

3. westsea

westsea First record

We have used wechat for a numbr of years with family in China, works fine ,we did write down the password but haven't had cause to use it. occasionally hangs up, which I think is more to do with son's location rather thanthe system.
    Will message son to see if he could advise, he is smarter than me!

4. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Checked your junk mail folder?

5. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Doesn't everyone use the same password for everything?

6. Mullardman

Many thanks. I didn't expect to have to use a password, but that's whatis happening.

Yep... twice..

I use the same one for everything except WeChat and the OCD Sufferer's Forum.

7. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Would that be Iluvmagg1ethatch3r

It looks like you can also login using a text message, guess that once you are logged in that way you could change your password to the one above that you usually use

https://www.wechat.co.za/faq/what-do-i-do-if-i-forget-my-password-or-want-to-reset-it/

8. Mullardman

Well went round in circles for a couple of hours and suddenly a different set of options appeared. It then told me I was blocked for being naughty (haven't used the bloody thing yet) and deigned to allow me to apply for unblocking. Then, after about two dozen assorted access codes were received and entered it told me to stop trying to unblock as I wasn't blocked.
    Seems OK now, but it is even worse than most things designed by IT types who seem to delight in using language and 'logic' which is unintelligible to proper people.... :)

9. westsea

westsea First record

Mullardman. Pleased you are sorted out, spoke to son in China this morning - not sure how much this helps, but perhaps for future useo_O
    The WeChat account is linked to your phone number. You will have a WeChat User ID which is visible to your contacts. We have never had to use a password! We have lost connections and retrieved - they send SMS code to reconnect and it works . There is also an email route - haven't used that. If your phone number is changed then it is 'difficult' to retrieve - grandson just opened a new account with a new ID when he moved countries. The need for secure systems seem to be the cause of the rigid process, in my case it is the young lot who can follow the patterns - it's like knitting.

10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I would hope not, and announcing it on a public forum is not entirely clever

Bananahead likes this.
  11. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

There really needs to be a whoosh-going-over-your-head emoji

The Chronicals likes this.