1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Weedkiller for bamboo - recommendations .

Discussion in 'off topic' started by early, Aug 20, 2019.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I hate bamboo too, had to take up a whole footpath with massive slabs to take out roots and I warn tenants to watch out for it as it comes back so easily. So far after 3 years we have had a bit of regrowth but seem in control of it .

2. early

early pfm Member

Thanks for all the answers .

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It takes a season ime. When it starts growing in the spring, spray the leaves with glyphosate. It will take 3-4 weeks to die, then it will come back. Hit anything green once a month With more glyph. If necessary repeat next season. You can of course do this while your astro and flags are down. This treatment works on everything, even jap knot weed. This last takes 2-3 years, I hear.

doctorf likes this.
  4. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

I've just about eradicated Japanese Knotweed with glyphosate, from a rental property.
    It's taken about 5 years; evil stuff.

5. boneman

boneman pfm Member

It's sad to see Glyphosphate mentioned so many times. It should be illegal.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

What would you do then to get rid of invasive weeds?

Rockmeister likes this.
  7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The problem, as with so very many things in life, is that people read hyperbole and believe that they are the entire truth.

There is no evidence that glyphosate causes any damage to anything but the weeds that it should be used on, and certainly not if used as directed in EU and US regulations and laws. Monsanto have been successfully sued in US courts because the requirements for proof are far lower there.

One of the current green "advances" in arable agriculture - no till - would be EXTREMELY difficult without glyphosate, or another weedkiller that does the precise same thing. Just as a for instance.

8. boneman

boneman pfm Member

I'm saying this in general and it is not an attack on you or anyone that has mentioned it. I'd try to find something that is not proving to cause cancer, kill wildlife, is a known hormone disrupter, stays in the soil for a long time and ultimately as plants adapt becomes ineffective anyway. I'd start with something like this:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo-naturally-2132939

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Some people can’t wait two years...

10. boneman

boneman pfm Member

There is plenty of evidence however it's often to both sides of the argument. This article sums it up nicely with links to some of the studies. The very fact that it is now becoming pervasive in our bodies from food is enough to make me think this is not something I want around.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...s-roundup-carcinogenic-monsanto-farmers-suing

11. boneman

boneman pfm Member

Well 2 years out of your life isn't much when you consider the alternative is likely damaging not only yourself but the land around you for years to come.

Cheese likes this.
  12. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Glyphosate is reported as degrading very quickly in soil - its 'active' time is rather short, a matter of days. EU regs require weedkillers to behave in this way. So it does not 'pollute the land for years' to come.

The health risks of Glyphosate all hinge around direct human contact during application - and probably repeatedly over a long period of time. The successful court case in the USA was a commercial user who had been using it for many years, on a golf course I think.

13. boneman

boneman pfm Member

I stand corrected on that point. I misread the data on Wiki. However the recent study showing a 1000% rise in that stuff in urine samples is enough. That does not belong in anyones system. I sure as hell don't want it in my body.

14. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Not much help in your case, but I find that bamboo coming up in my grass won't spread if the grass is regularly cut

15. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Monsanto develops GMO crop plants which are immune to glyphosate. Farmers spray glyphosate all over the crops to kill weeds, and some of it it ends up in food.
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_12950444?guccounter=1

It has been suggested that glyphosate harms our gut microbes and makes us sick, but research is in the early days.

When I bought a small block of neglected land, I got quite interested in permaculture, which seems to suggest that if you nurture the good plants, the bad ones will be overcome. However, in the absence of a constant stream of wwoofers to look after the place, I decided that poison has its place.

The method I've found most effective (and least hazardous) is to cut the weed, then immediately paint weedkiller on the stump. This uses minimal amounts of herbicide, and almost nothing has come back for a second round.

16. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Genetically modifying foods to work in profitable tandem with pesticides is capitalism at its finest. The tobacco industry apparently thought so given their investment in vaping: You can kill yourself with these or you can kill yourself with those. And wash all that down with this syrupy shit made from modified corn by our good friends at Monsanto!

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This is routinely monitored in the UK and EU, it's illegal to sell food containing glyphosate or any other organophosphate pesticide at levels over the MRL. (Food Safety Act 1990). UK monitoring by the FSA shows contamination levels in food sampled in UK supermarkets to be low. We're talking both low levels and low incidence.
    The stuff has been around for 45 years, it's been one of the most widely used pesticides in the world for 40 years, tested by all and sundry, and research is "in the early days?" Hardly. There are reams of research on the stuff.

Equally good is to paint the green leaf without cutting, in the case of glyphosate. Again there is no overspray. In the case of woody growth diesel and glyphosate is fantastic, the diesel wets the bark and encourages absorption, while restricting runoff in rain. Both are soon lost in the natural environment once they meet the soil, they aren't persistent.

18. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

I'm in year 3 now. I will kill the evil thing!

19. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Research on the effects of trace levels of glyphosate on gut microbes in humans?

Also note how much of the research was funded by Monsanto, and how that may affect the findings.

20. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member