1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you doing to minimise catching or spreading Covid-19

Discussion in 'off topic' started by bob, Mar 10, 2020.

1. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye Lycra city, the staff are murder too, pretty much like the clientele.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Could you pls elaborate on or explain your comment ? Ta.

3. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Not where I live in London. Waitrose is cheaper than M&S in many cases. You also get a buckshee newspaper if you send £10 or more, if you've got one of their cards. It's great to get an Observer for free.

Jack

twotone and Snufkin like this.
  4. bor

bor queue jumper

Everybody is working from home as of today.

So I've come into the office !

You can see my logic right?

hifinutt and deebster like this.
  5. billo

billo pfm Member

We used to store samples at -80 or for a very short time in a normal freezer. A frost free freezer works by slowly raising the temp and then going back down again, this cycle is not kind to proteins and they degrade (or fall apart)

Mike Reed likes this.
  6. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

A couple of tips:
    My local GP has been recommending Vitamin D supplementation, plus orange juice. Personally I'm also taking fish oil and using ZMA (zinc magnesium aspartate) and/or magnesium spray.
    https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/vitamin-d-supplements-acute-respiratory-infections/

If you do unfortunately get infected, don't panic as you still have some opportunity to reduce the severity of the outcome during the mild period. Pay attention to wellness and keep your environment clean:
    https://necsi.edu/respiratory-health-for-better-covid-19-outcomes

Weekender, Paulicus, vuk and 3 others like this.
  7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

@Heckyman - that NESCI link is really useful. Thank you.

Heckyman and a.palfreyman like this.
  8. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

I've been doing heavy breathing exercises for years. Ooh, hang on a minute...

TheDecameron likes this.
  9. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Just remember to disinfect the phone afterwards.

Weekender and TheDecameron like this.
  10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I heard from a friend that supermarkets in Spain are enforcing hand sanitising and gloving up on entry with wide spacing of customers. He said they were being a bit inconsistent about it and I told him he should see the measures they’re taking here- zilch.

11. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

what nonsense, as if they'd let a bearded monster like you in the building

12. herb

herb music live

Routine weekly NHS Nomad medications delivered today into my letterbox then she waited for me to collect it from afar. Greetings. A new appreciated regime this week.

13. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

My 84 year old mother had hers delivered yesterday. I intercepted the fellow in the drive, told I'd take it and sign for it. 'Oh,' he said 'I normally see her.'

I looked at him for a while and suggested that we're not in normal times. 'Oh,' he said 'I see what you mean...'

FFS!

14. bob

bob pfm Member

Yes that's right, I went to the local Lidl and they had plastic gloves for you to put on then a security guard sprayed your gloved hands with some kind of sanitiser. The floors are laid out with yellow line near the tills so you can keep a good 1 metre distance from other customers. The smaller supermarkets like the Eroski aren't doing any of this and neither is the Maxi Dia.
    Soon to be in a store near you.

TheDecameron likes this.
  15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

those pesky Germans, Lidl eh?

16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

in ours people are fighting over bog roll, they are punching each other, gobbing and coughing on each other

17. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I'm generally doing all the things they've suggested - hand washing, distancing, etc. - plus I've become a dab hand at spraying door handles using my atomiser of isopropyl alcohol. No idea how effective this is compared to commercial alternatives, but I have about 1/2 gallon of the stuff and a little goes a long way. Otherwise, trying at least to stay healthy for a forthcoming hip op at the start of April. Bupa maintain it's still going ahead, subject to additional protective controls. I'm in two minds about willingly having the surgery but in balance I'd rather get it over and done with and onto the recovery stage. APart from that, the kids will finish up tomorrow, me and the wife are already WFH. My firm is operating as normal but with 99% remote access (and only a skeleton staff in the main offices briefly by exception).

I'm hoping that we'll be able to get out and about to walk our dogs on the local (vast, empty) beach over the coming weeks/months, and that radical lock-down isn't imposed without consideration to stuff like this. I'm probably safer along the beach than I am anywhere else! I'm more worried about my father than myself, given that he's nearly 80, but since he lives alone and with a fairly large degree of social isolation anyway (due to location, preference and the pre-deceasing of my mother and most of his closer friends) he may - if he's sensible and adheres to the hygiene advice etc. - avoid it without much change to his daily routines...

18. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Nothing’s changed then.

[​IMG]

The state of utter chaos in a branch of Lidl has remained unchanged since before the Coronavirus, leaving many shoppers confused.

Simon Williams, a regular shopper at his local branch of Lidl in Little Arseworth, Berkshire, described the shop to us saying, “It is understaffed, overstocked with items you’ll never need, understocked with toilet rolls, and with punters throwing punches in the aisles over packets of pasta the size of a sofa.

“And that was before the Coronavirus came along and all the panic buying started.”

https://newsthump.com/2020/03/13/sh...dl-has-been-ransacked-by-panic-buyers-or-not/

Seeker_UK likes this.
  19. westsea

westsea Retirement present

There are no halfs in a Geordie bar, only pints:D George House

20. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I've ordered a set of hair clippers as I'd rather have a dodgy hairdo than a dodgy as hell Covid No.19