1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by BLACKMASS, Dec 1, 2015.

1. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

1 Guinness in the pub, before a long drive back to Hull in the morning.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I bet that’s got a good kick, sounds lovely though. I need to stock up my bar (large drinks cabinet) with some of this stuff.

3. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

2017 'Chapeau Melon', a Vin de France from the Huchet family in the Pays Nantais, a blend of Melon de Bourgogne (Muscadet) and Sauvignon. Very bracing.

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Bracing... as in Gros Plant levels of bracing? Or better mannered than that?

5. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Still deciding.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

this with some of the fevertree aromatic tonic and a slice of orange...perfect..!

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  7. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Exactly. When I first tasted it I thought it was Gros Plant, but yes, better-mannered. Distinctive Sauvignon whiff, with the mid-palate succulence and sur lie vitality of good Gros Plant, all shot through with a bright acidity. Very 'uplifting' at the end of these scorching days we've been having.

http://jeremie-huchet-vigneron.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Vin-de-France-Chapeau-Melon-blanc.pdf

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Can you translate for the Gammon?

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

think he means it tastes of grapes..

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Never had an upmarket Gros Plant, but it makes an excellent kir. Not too sweet. I like Loire whites, yes, even the Chenin Blanc ones. The one you mention sounds very good.

TheDecameron likes this.
  11. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I've been slightly chilling the reds in this very hot weather. I even put a lump of ice in the Beaujolais the other day. Anyone else do this?

12. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

no... when it's hot I prefer to drink a nice cold white wine... :)

13. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Had a nice bottle of Chapel Down fizz in a restaurant last night. Very tasty.

Still likes this.
  14. linnfomaniac83

My mother wants to try it, I’ll buy her a bottle... I’m sure I’ll get to sample it!

15. linnfomaniac83

I genuinely prefer red but not in hot weather, I like a very well chilled Chardonnay or a dry prosecco in hot weather, with BBQ food, even better BBQ seafood or pasta.

16. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

If you are quick, knowing mum's and favourite tipples.

Bloss

Mr Cat likes this.
  17. linnfomaniac83

Haha, she’s a “young” 54 year old and is more of a party animal than me, we went to a Frankie Valli tribute a couple of weeks back and the bar had a huge Gin selection, all at £3.50 for a double! She was a little merry on the way back and made me stop off for a kebab.:D

JensenHealey, blossomchris and Mr Cat like this.
  18. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

we were at a bistro about a month ago and they had various gins and we tried this one - sadly it wasn't 3.50 - was nearly 10 quid for a double..!

and asda had the gin on offer for 20 quid a bottle so we bought a few bottles.. :)

blossomchris and linnfomaniac83 like this.
  19. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Well yes I like a well chilled white on a hot day too, but there are some things I just prefer reds with. On a sweltering day a lightly chilled Beujolais with a lightly grilled venison steak and salad cuts the mustard for me.

linnfomaniac83 and Mr Cat like this.
  20. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Yes, particularly gamay-based reds that are on the younger side. In hot weather they work quite well when on the colder side. As a near equivalent, some Swiss reds work well like this. Can also be worth trying some whites that have flavours and textures closer to some reds (white Chateau Musar, or white Chateauneuf/southern Rhone).