1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by BLACKMASS, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

It's lovely isn't it?

The Chapel Down vineyards are just up the road from me in Tenterden, Kent and I've just bought a case of their Vintage Reserve.

They also brew excellent beer, lager and cider under the Curious Brew label. I really like the lager, it's supposed to be brewed using Champagne yeast.

https://www.chapeldown.com/beer/curious-brew

2. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Yes, Mike. They make some lovely wine. I really like their Flint Dry.

MikeMA likes this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Room temperature is, IIRC, intended to imply something around 18 degrees C, so reds which have come up to ambient in the recent hot spell need chilling a bit anyway. I quite like a hint of chill on a Pinot Noir, and tend to steer clear of bigger wines in hot weather anyway, so no Cabs or Syrahs, as a general rule.

MikeMA likes this.
  4. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Agree with 18C, but I chill them a bit further (than that) when it's nicely warm outside. Most of my wine is stored at around 11C-15C, so I try to keep it there, or bring it up to temp when needed :)

MikeMA likes this.
  5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The French have refrigerated/heated storage units for their wine if they are serious about it. These hold 15-16 C all year. A summer of storage such as they have just had at 35C all day can take the edge off a very good wine and spoil it. It was also my first introduction to someone putting a red wine in an ice bucket for half an hour on a hot day. "Can't drink a nice wine like this at 25 degrees Steve, I'll just put it in here to get it to around 18."

MikeMA likes this.
  6. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

13 Gunns IPA this evening.

7. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

@stevec67 it’s not limited to the French! Most appliance retailers here in the U.K. (and other countries) have them too.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I imagine so! Not seen them in UK though. Other than this summer who needs one? A proper cellar, underground, will work. So will my spare room, if I were bothered.

9. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Glass or two of Pusser's rum.

MikeMA likes this.
  10. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I keep liking posts in this thread, which is slightly disturbing, seeing as I'm cutting back on the booze, possibly.

11. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

They’re not half bad at keeping humidity levels stable, which can be more detrimental to storing wine than temperature fluctuation. But you’re right, a cellar is better by far.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Forgot about the humidity issue. After all, not everyone has a cellar, me included. I had one in France, but I don't live there any more. Still, my wine gets bought and drunk, I have few that I store.

BTC3 likes this.
  13. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Stowford Press - £1 a bottle at Morrisons.

14. MVV

MVV pfm Member

8 Ace - £1.49 at Mr Patel's Nanomarket.

15. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

I have a wine thingy which holds the long-term store around 13.5 -14C year round. Reds come out an hour or so beforehand, and whites go to the warmer part of the fridge for 30-45 minutes. Works well, no need for multi-temperature serving cabinets. It's also keeps humidity levels reasonable, but the problem is the capacity's limited to about 200 bottles, which sounds like quite a lot but is reached quickly once you start visiting a few vineyards and keeping wine for several years. The overflow goes underground below the garage, but the temperature there has risen above 20C, so it is just for the wine that I don't plan to keep more than a year or two.

Some Italian and Spanish reds seem to like being served a bit warmer than 18C.

16. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Waitrose French Roast coffee...

Fecking cat yacked up all over the new carpet in the bedroom... so that’s me wide awake after cleaning it up and sorting buttmunch out :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM
  17. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Thanks for sharing.....

hifilover1979 likes this.
  18. hifilover1979

:D

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

what is "yacked up" - you got a talking cat? Do you mean vomit? spew? feline trichobezoar is not entirely unusual either

20. hifilover1979

Yup; that exactly. His mid-early morning snack bounced for some reason...! It was nice of him to share it with us :mad: