1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you listening to right now #54

Discussion in 'music' started by robs, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

The above had me pull out some totally Indian music. Imrat Khan - 'Nordindische Ragas Live'. Vinyl 2 x LP 1975 Harmonia Mundi German original pressing.

2. guey

guey pfm Member

Just downloaded the new Hidden Orchestra live album, so that's gone on.
    Sounding very good so far.

3. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Lone - Emerald Fantasy Tracks

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Kate Bush - Kick Inside, probably the 2nd best debut album ever.

Big Tabs likes this.
  5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Now moved onto Gavin Clark - The Evangelist, interesting record which has become slightly better known due to being the opening theme to the recent BBC4 subtitled drama 'Follow the money'. Poor old Gavin, he never gained wider recognition when alive & in death his music gets picked up by an equally niche BBC4 drama.

6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Bought a very cheap box set with 5 of his albums, really like him. Very slick, music for grown ups.

jackbarron likes this.
  7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Final choice for me tonight before I have to go & talk to the wife, REM - Document on vinyl. Not sure whether it is an original press but I have had it for over 20 years & I don't think I bought it new. It really is a wonderful record, REM really brought back harmony singing to great effect.

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Benny Carter - Further Definitions, some wonderful late period playing from Coleman Hawkins

10. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Thelonius Monk - Straight No Chaser. SACD.

11. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The Am I Dead Yet? band and album of the same name sound really good. They are made up of Mary Byker from Gay Bykers on Acid and Pop Will Eat Itself, plus Apollo440 founder-member, Magazine guitarist & long-time collaborator, Noko.

I have only seen one review for Am I Dead Yet? A long and amusing piece in Louder Than War which gave the album 9 out of 10. You can get a flavour of it from this track, Joe Meek Shall Inherit The Earth.

Jack

Big Tabs likes this.
  12. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Ah, I played this 12" that I purchased at the time by Apollo 440, it has a couple of interesting remixes.

So I had a listen to the Am I Dead Yet? - not what I expected. Never was a PWEI or Gay Bykers fan and maybe that was my issue. I did have a listen to Futuristic Paranoia + Leaving Me Behind as well.

jackbarron likes this.
  13. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Listening to Fanny, a band I had never heard of.

BBC iplayer Girl in a band: Tales From The Rock 'n' Roll Front Line

Never heard of The Liverbirds band either.

14. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

John Coltrane - Giant Steps. 24/96 Mono Flac

15. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

David Murray Octet - Ming CD

16. Devonian

Devonian Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm

Jorma Kaukonen ... his recent and most excellent acoustic album strangely and very simply titled "2019-03-08 Sweetwater Music Hall, Mill Valley, CA"

jackbarron likes this.
  17. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Daft Punk - TRON: Legacy soundtrack.

19. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

[​IMG]

Just discovered these, very good! (Exquisite Corpse is very good too).

20. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Laura Veirs, The Lookout

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.