1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading these days?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Mar 31, 2017.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I'm working my way through Lolita by Nabokov, although it might be more apt to say slogging my way through as he drops in a fair amount of French - a tad too much for this petit francophone reader - and his vocabulary is exceptional, to say the least as there have been numerous occasions I've had to use my dictionary like a yo-yo going back and forth between each book to find familiar but forgotten words as well as words never before known to me and my modestly improving mind. And all too often yo-yoing several times on one page!

I've seen the film starring Jeremy Irons so I know how it all ends - the denouement if you will - but I'm reading the book anyway as it's considered a modern classic and although I'm only at Chapter 11, it seems well written for sure and well worth the effort of reading.

Anyway, that's me. What are you reading these days?

2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I am mostly reading lots of books relating to my thesis, of little interest to the general reader, but the other day I picked up for 70p in a charity shop an excellent supernatural novel called 'The Necromancers', by Roert Hugh Benson (his brother wrote the Mapp and Lucia stories).

Here is a contemporary review from The Spectator:

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/arti...ecromancers-by-robert-hugh-benson-hutchinson-

3. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

5. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Under The Skin - Michael Faber. Loads better than the film

6. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

Paul Auster 4321

Back to New York trilogy form. Packed with the usual self references. And obvious homage to Salinger.

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Working my way through Donna Leon's Venice crime books.

8. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

James M McPherson Battle Cry of Freedom
    Nicholas Best Trafalgar

Next up, re-visiting Richard Rhodes Dark Sun

9. build410

build410 pfm Member

The lay of the land by Richard Ford, the last of a trilogy all excellent.
    His take on life and ageing strikes a chord.

10. Mikeandvan

Mikeandvan Banned

Remote control instructions, and Gumtree ads. Oh and this crap.

11. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

The old man and the sea. Just finished and I really enjoyed It

Gaycha likes this.
  12. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Recently David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks. Currently Nathan Hill's The Nix.

13. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Christmas brought me a stack of Tim Moore - travel writing with humour.

Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys" details the quest for speed in the US and other stock markets, and how speed corrupts.

14. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Just finished Detroit 67 by Stuart Cosgrove.
    Excellent, but Kindle version has not been proof read - the most typos/grammar I have ever come across in a published work.
    Because I am laid up with leg in plaster I then raced through Peter Hook's Unknown Pleasures and made a good start on Substance. Can't help but like the man.
    Also halfway through Tim Lawrence's Death on the Dancefloor in paperback but it seems to have gone missing!

16. Cav

Cav pfm Member

All the Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy

17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Brilliant but Grim.

18. TomF

TomF pfm Member

Addlands by Tom Bullough. Rather like the OP, I'm having to make use of external resources as there's lots of use of slang and colloquialisms peculiar to the Welsh Borders (including the title, which means "headlands", as in the strip between field and hedge).

It's very good indeed. Nearly finished, so need to decide what's next (I have a pile to choose from).

19. davem

davem pfm Member

'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.'

I read 'The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy' first (should have read it second really, but not absolutely necessary) - really enjoyed it so reading the Harold Fry book which is the story that comes before the Queenie Hennessy book. Well written with great human observations.

Can also recommend 'Disclaimer' - will keep you guessing all the way through the book.

20. Errol

Errol pfm Member

I enjoyed the The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry as well, interesting insight, like Forrest Gump on his run.
    Have just finished Cleopatra and Antony by Diana Preston this gives even greater insight to the beginning of Roman dominance of the times. I liked the way she got very close to the subject.

Before that "boys in the trees" a memoir by Carly Simon, or how to squander a fortune on psychoanalysis, then put it all down on paper.