1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your hifi plans for 2019?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rosewind, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Just curious now that I feel that I'm about to be where I want to be with my set-up. Still there are a few small things to do or buy on my list ... in this order ...

With a little help from good people in Aarhus: Finally finish my Firstwatt F4 build to see how well it does with my Quad ESL 57s

Thorens TP 63/64 Jubilee arm wand - cosmetics only as it has the golden THORENS inscription
    Thorens TD 147 Jubilee black anodised platter - again cosmetics

Magnepan DWM woofer (40hz - 200hz) with my Quad ESL 57s?

Better step-up transformers than my Partridge 977 for my Benz Micro Gullwing SLR?

2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

The first rule about ‘upgrade club’ is that you’re never finished...!

1/ I’m going to further fiddle with making a better adjustment for the tracking weight on my tonearm.

2/ finish building my new turntable.

2a/ do some update mods on my phonostage (Paradise).

4/ build an active DSP sub.

5/ look into replacement amps to replace my Naim gear (this will be a DIY solution if I find something that ticks all my boxes).

6/ look to rebuild my speaker crossovers - I’ve already done this once and pretty ‘hard-core’ at that, but I’ve got an idea for something even more excessive!

Woodface likes this.
  3. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

No plans, I’m satisfied. Will be adding cinema surround sound to the main system though.

4. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

A better turntable, arm, cartridge and phono stage mostly.

Although I would be happy to go further with the other elements in my system, I think they're all as good as I really need without feeling I've spent too much. The speakers have been here for 3 years, the amp 4, and the digital is now finished and settled after a hefty outlay this year. So that just leaves the vinyl rig to have some fun with upgrading in 2019.

I seen quite a few options that interest me. A TD 124 was always my dream but the DIY and maintenance scares me off. Looking at a Garrard 301/401 as an alternative is starting to persuade me, but it's still expensive once servicing, fancy plinth, new arm and cart are taken into account. Would be a lovely longterm option though.

I really miss my SME 10 / SME 312S / Miyajima Waza / Miyajima ETR-KSW SUT / Leben RS30eq combo from a few years back which I had to break up, but had wanted to avoid spending that much again. Looks like I might have to to get a really nice 301 though.

5. lordmortlock

lordmortlock pfm Member

Great thread idea! Be good to read this back at the end of December and see where I actually ended up ...

Having decided to downsize massively early last year I’ve decided to go the other way in ‘19 and embrace my inner Hifi mentalist. Andrew was right, I’m in so much now we have a baby!

I’m still very happy with the Crayon Audio integrated amp but I’ve recently bought a Gordon Welford pre with phono stage and it’s clearly very special, so the plan is to try out some power amps to see what matches best. First up, a well built Firstwatt F6 clone.

[​IMG]

It’ll go up against the LFD zero that I’m using with the passive pot open as a power amp. That sounds great, so the F6 will have to be good.

I should probably switch to a posher speaker again at some point but I’m still wedded to the Mark Audio Driver based XL frugalhorns at the moment. They suit my listening preferences so well. I have the paper drivers fitted and a pair of metal ones on the wings, so need to compare those at some point before moving on. I feel like I have unfinished business with Odeon speakers, the rigolettos I had last year were superb but just too bass heavy here. Can’t help thinking the fidelios would be better in my room.

Apart from that I’m happy with the SL10 and the Lampizator dac. I might have a play with SUTs again, against the headamp in the deck, and I could do with sending the dac back to Lukasz to have another digital input fitted, but no mad rush there.

Oh, and I’d like to try a Jico SAS stylus on my Shure M110he. The above, along with the dozen or so curveballs the classifieds are bound to throw at me over the course of the year, should see me through :)

eastone likes this.
  6. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I have a Naim NAC22/NAP120 & a pair of NAC12 pre-amps in the workshop; all in working order but would benefit with a service of some sort. I also have a pair of NAP and a pair of Avondale amplifier boards, along with a couple of empty cases waiting to be turned into amplifiers.

The other project that I'd like to get off the ground, is one of Nigel's (Lenco Heaven) speed controller boards, for the Lenco (88)/Zeta.

7. Joe

Joe pfm Member

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Famous last words I know, but I honestly think I’m done! I’ve not made any major change for a long while now, and doing anything would mean removing something I really like from the systems! I’d be surprised if I do much this year unless something amazing lands in the local auction room.

I guess I should work on my ‘mono system’ (Leak TL12 Plus & Wharfedale SFB/3 found at the aforementioned auction room), but whether I get round to it I’ve no idea. The SFB is pretty close now, it just needs reassembling and testing, but the Leak will need a full recap/ rebuild. The main issue is I have absolutely nowhere to put it when I do get it working!

naimplayer and Rug Doc like this.
  9. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I have a notion to pull my SCM 35's apart and with the purchase of a pair of the correct bass drivers make myself a pair of SCM 50's out of them.

I have always hankered after a pair of passive stand mount 50's and they just never come up for sale in a veneer finish ( can't stand black ) so making my own seems to be my only option.

10. Darren

Darren All Business

I plan a retro system with components I lusted after and could never afford fronted by Panel speakers and a smaller system with omnidirectional speakers or a Hafler stereo set up.... how much of it will actually happen? I dunno - its also going to be a challenging year in business... might be too busy to do either!

11. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Lord no, most definately not!

12. Darren

Darren All Business

Interesting!

Jodet likes this.
  13. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

1) Leisurely and gentle tube rolling to optimise overall sound

2) Get a Thelonious pork pie trilby that fits me (mine is too small - who knew how hard it is to measure hat size?!)

3) Grow matching goatee.

4) Consider a rug upgrade.

I may invest in a second mini-coffee table. For the piles of records and stuff.

14. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Id like to replace all of my B139's for Falcon drivers and try a Hypex psu in a Klout.

15. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

NAP180 finally ‘due’ a service after doing great work for 20 years this summer. I might hold back until I can afford the Avondale NCC200s too.
    I might throw some Mogami interconnects into the mess at the back too.

16. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Finally unpack the classical CDs

Find a nice circular rug

Get a new streamer and DAC perhaps from dCS

17. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Sold my Akurate CD last month. I'll be part ex'ing my Exotik and 2200 for a ND5 XS 2 and Exposure 3010S2D, which I'll be buying in a couple of weeks. That will do for starters.

18. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Ooh I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the F6 Jake. Is that one of the pre-built units the eBay guy was selling?

My plans for 2019 include getting some mu-metal shielding sorted for the autoformers on my M2, putting some new vol pots in my Concordant pre and maybe, just maybe, flush mounting the Golds in my Chatsworth cabs...

EDIT: Oh, and sorting out a wee office system with my new old Stereo 70. It should be great with my little Goodmans so just need another DAC now...

19. mjw

mjw pfm Member

I’m continuing my 2018 theme - the further acquisition of s/hand CDs (such a bargain these days) and s/hand jazz and classical LPs. I don’t envisage any equipment changes so that outlines my 2019 plans for my hifi.

Hempknight and pickwickpapers like this.
  20. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

An extra couple of tuned membrane bass traps, small ones, could be squeezed into the remaining slivers of space at the back of the room! That's the most that will happen in 2019 I think.