1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your hifi plans for 2019?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rosewind, Jan 3, 2019.

1. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

If you want a cheap high quality DVD player I have a Denon DVD-2910 firing on all cylinders which can play SACD etc - nice machine - yours for a ton.

My plans this year are to listen to Maggies, see how they brush up against better conventionally designed loudspeakers. I did learn in 2018 that the streaming source components are fundamentally important to improving your sound even into the same DAC. Always a contentious subject, but now I know using these ears that bits are not bits so to speak (currently settled with the SoTM sMS-200 Ultra with sPS-500 PSU).

radamel likes this.
  2. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I have a weak spot for Maggies and may well get some in our living room in the future. In the past I have owned 1.7i and MC1s. Sold on to try something else. Now I have Quad ESL-57s in my study. They will not be replaced.

foxwelljsly and radamel like this.
  3. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

In an attempt to cure my addiction to building power amps, I am going to limit myself to a maximum of 5 this year.

clap, lordmortlock, Rosewind and 3 others like this.
  4. TomF

TomF pfm Member

Pretty much go back to square one...

I’ve had the same system for years - Digital: Apple AEX, Analogue: LP12, Amps: Arcam 8 integrated + 8P power, Quad 22L speakers.

Pretty much all of it is still in storage (except the speakers + an AV amp plugged into the TV) from the mega house renovation we started about 12 months ago. It’s basically now done but for spending ££££ on new furniture.

The sitting room isn’t very hifi friendly - hard floors, walls and glass, leather sofas, open plan into hallway and new dining room/kitchen (glazed internal doors only separation). And a massive TV dominating one wall.

Not sure whether to integrate AV and hifi, keep them separate, bin off the analogue source (music is mainly digital), try to “soften” the room (rug/rugs!!), not bother with any hifi and grab what little listening time I can through the AV kit or headphones....

Sorry, bit of a download..!

EDIT: as soon as I’ve built some CD storage elsewhere in the house I’ll hopefully return to physical media: for the last 12 months I’ve only relied on downloads (am - weirdly - deliberately lagging behind in streaming).

Amber Audio and Rosewind like this.
  5. John.P

John.P Active Member

This year I think it's time to change the speakers in my dining room (second) system. Currently I'm running a pair of Castle Trent II finished in teak bought new in 1995. These were powered by an Arcam Alpha 6 amp (also 1995 vintage) until last year when I changed the Arcam for a Simaudio Moon Neo Ace. On Tuesday next week I'm audioning a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty speakers. We'll see what happens.

The other thing I'll think about is changing the Linn K400 speaker cabble in my main system - Linn Akurate DSM, Linn Exaktbox 6, Linn Akurate 4200amp with Kudos Super 20A speakers. My dealer has suggested Audioquest Rocket 88 (I know Kudos us this cable when demonstrating Exakt Super 20's) or alternatively Nordost Red Dawn. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has other suitable suggestions?

John

6. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

Ive sold my harbeth shl5+ and got bitten again with DIY speakers. my Seas A26 are really that good

I have in my posession all the drivers to build a BIG hi eff 95/db/W 3-way speakers. 15 inch woofers with 6.5 inch and planar ribbon on top, 1st order xo

Ill either do a Geithain sort of arrangement with the mid+planar in front of the woofer or simply build a smaller cabinet to sit on top of the woofer cabinet.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  7. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

For 2019, I intend to finish re-building my Yamaha NS-1000M and to build up my Thorens TD-124 into a useable turntable. I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if I had said something similar this time last year.

Rosewind and booja30 like this.
  8. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

Only thing planned is a new pair of cabinets for my latest test project. I have not decided yet, might go down the Open Baffle route rather than the large leaky/aperiodic enclosures. It will be a bit 'retro' in design, either a large corner mounted aperiodic or the Open Baffle I think.

[​IMG]
    Supravox 165-2000
    by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Supravox 165-2000
    by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Rosewind likes this.
  9. Hungry Halibut

Hungry Halibut pfm Member

Last year was a big spending year for my system - £200 to switch from Quadraspire to Fraim. For 2019 I plan to do absolutely nothing and to focus on buying a few new albums and getting to know those I bought last year, which was probably a few too many. I’ve been something of a serial box swapper in the past and I’m finding it really good to not be thinking about upgrades and changes. The perceived downside of owning a streaming preamp, that it’s not very upgradeable, is to me a huge upside. Since getting the 272 in summer 2015 I’ve gradually maxed it out with power supply and cables and everything now sounds so good I feel no need for anything better. It’s a good place to be, I think.

Rosewind likes this.
  10. Joe

Joe pfm Member

My sympathies to you and the pain you are suffering ..especially during this holiday season.

(as it is the fifth such season of suffering )

YNWOAN and Rosewind like this.
  11. Drumossie

Drumossie And not or

fanless NUC pc

12. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

TimF likes this.
  13. radamel

radamel Music Fiend

Interesting thread.

Last year I bought:

-A pair of speakers (Monitor Audio PL100 II);

-A subwoofer (SVS SB2000);

-An AV Receiver (Pioneer LX 57);

-A couple of integrated amps (a GamuT Di150 LE and an Arcam A38).

In the year of our Lord 2019 I intend to spend absolutely nothing in audio gear. :)

14. Robn

Robn pfm Member

Nothing major as really happy with the set up but two small hankerings:
    1) maybe see if there's any advantage to using XLR cables to connect the preamp (a JW modified Audiolab CDQ8200) to the power amp (an Exposure Super XVIII) in place of the phonos?
    2) Maybe service the 401

15. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

:) That sounds ominous. Having built the 'toe in the water' ACAs and nearly finished a Whammy, I keep finding myself drawn to the DIYaudio M2X thread.
    25 Watts pc of Pass Labs Class A is soooo tempting! But do I need to nip this in the bud before it's too late? (If you find yourself wondering when to put in a reef, do it now!)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  16. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

There was a guy on DIYAudio who was going to built an amp a week for a year.
    He did 30 or 40 then disappeared without trace. Probably by spontaneous combustion :)

Let that be a lesson!

davidjt likes this.
  17. Margin_walker

Margin_walker pfm Member

Moving into my girlfriend’s place where there is a basement room to use as a listening/cinema room. Will be buying a big telly and some new speakers. The speakers will have to double up with music and tv duties so I will need some good allrounders. Will also be looking for a dac with two optical inputs and a remote.

18. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

An unexpected development saw me buy a Rega DAC-R yesterday and so far, I'm quite impressed with the way in which things have turned out: it sounds damn good, obviously, but just as importantly, it works with my NAS via USB and can decode up to 24/192 while DSD, transcoded to PCM on the fly by my NAS, shows on the DAC as 24/192 (at least, the few such albums that I've played do - some transcoded DSD might show as 24/176).

19. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Maybe due to negative feedback?

Taxi!

radamel, TheDecameron and Rosewind like this.
  20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Now that is good Darren.

darrenyeats likes this.