1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your hifi plans for 2019?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rosewind, Jan 3, 2019.

1. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I must admit that although I own both, I've not, yet, tried this. I bought the STA25 earlier this year, and put it in my main system, replacing a EAR 890, just to make sure that it was working, and it's not been moved since!

Rosewind likes this.
  2. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I like the sound of the EAR 516 that Tim de Paravicini said was a perfect match for my Quad ESL 57s but I have heard so much good about the Radford STA line that I will have to have a listen at some point. Not to buy but to satisfy my curiosity.

3. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Courtesy of R3 Record Review, I 'discovered' Prokoviev's 1st violin concerto this morning. Written a hundred years ago.....:(

Btw, Kate Molleson is their best guest presenter by such a long way - she should anchor Building a Library full time.

Rosewind likes this.
  4. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I did this year late last year by swapping out PMC twenties with Russell K 50s. That'll hold me.

5. monty

monty pfm Member

Upgrading amp from my Yamaha AS3000 this year with a view of upgrading TT and speakers next year.

Shortlist is Vitus, Audio Research or Naim. Impossible to find a dealer that can showcase all 3 of these brands, plus I’d like to buy local.

Will probs audition Naim & AR alongside Sugden, Pathos and Chord as that’s from my local dealers range

6. Robby

Robby pfm Member

I'd have thought the Yamaha difficult to beat - will be interested in your findings once you have listened to a few others.

7. vinylslug

vinylslug Rebuilding my Vinyl collection.

2019 will see a new phono stage for me...and most likely a new cartridge. I used to have an Ortofon Rondo Blue on my LP12 and loved it - but managed to damage it (oopsie!), so replaced it (on recommendation of my Linn dealer) with a Linn Adikt, which is a decent cartridge, but lacks the detail and musicality I enjoyed with the Rondo... so I think I'll be stumping-up for a Quintet Blue (The Rondo's equivalent).
    Phono stage... Possibly a Rega Aria, although I'm having my head turned by the reviews on Lindemann's Limetree.
    Following that, I'm planning to get my old Linn Axis up to speed with an arm service (Linn Basik Plus with rattly bearings) and new cartridge (or transplant the Adikt onto it.)

8. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Calm down dear, not everyone is a clone of you, some of us are different.

For a kick off, you seem to spend nearly every day of your life in your home , therefore more of your time and energy will be devoted to listening to music, so you buying new music is pretty predictable.

I am your opposite, I spend about seven months abroad each year. Today I am in India touring temples and I tend not to listen to as much music as I used too because I am away from the systems, hence I buy less new music.

Comments like "What a bizarre and terribly sad comment!" are more confrontational rather than helpful.

I suggest you take a tour of India and study the temples, you may become a bit more tolerant and calm as a result.

9. claire.foxx

claire.foxx ⚢ punk princess in a pretty party dress

Unsure if first proper system pic of 2019 - been busy building a fanless media server getting my secure storage mojo in shape and expanding Devialet potential/utility.

to whit:

Wired up Hifiman HE-560 headphones for space and time inappropriate listening. Directly fed from the Left and Right preamp output of each Devialet 400 Monoblock (rather than the Raspberry Pi in the base of the headphone stand), long connection socket buried under floor (you might remember I dislike too many visible cables). Absolute best sounds ever.

Achievement unlocked. Level UP!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    TimF, Cereal Killer and darrenyeats like this.
  10. Jonqpr

Jonqpr pfm Member

Depends but am waiting for a European valve amp manufacturer to issue a 805 based amp with European components and top build quality.

11. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

NAT Audio has already issued one such - integrated - amp: the old version of their NAT Single.

12. Jonqpr

Jonqpr pfm Member

Yes you are correct, but is an integrated I need mono amps and is a top cap topology, I hate top cap valves. Also get impression quality and reliability may be an issue?

13. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Selling everything and going on an active adventure....

joe9407 and mattgbell like this.
  14. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Rosewind likes this.
  15. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Did you get to participate in a Hindu ritual?

[​IMG]

TheDecameron likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

17. hornblower

hornblower pfm Member

My plans are rather modest really.

I reckon it's a good time to have my Lingo 1 serviced by Darren at Class A

The Lingo is now sitting next to a Naim HiCap 2 DR and you can hear interference when you turn the volume up.

I believe Darren's service helps in this respect.

:)

18. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

To listen to mine more

19. pjdowns

pjdowns Living the Hifi dream

I plan to have to mods done to my NovaFidelity streamer which were actually a Christmas present, but still to be arranged. Then I may complete the Coherent 5D loom by buying a couple of power cables and finally, if my 16 month son doesn't learn to leave the speakers alone, I may have to find alternatives!

20. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

I've ordered some Townshend pods to put my oak tv cabinet on that contains my system. I'm not sure how I am going to fit and balance the pods & cabinet yet, but it will hopefully prevent most of the vibrations getting through. My speakers are already on the podiums.