1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens after Coronavirus?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by AndyU, Mar 21, 2020.

1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

What happens?

I think China will emerge as the strongest economic force on the planet. Maybe the only significant one.

Stephen

topa and TheDecameron like this.
  2. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

People were recently persuaded to demand brexit and vote for our current government. With our current setup they are likely to be persuaded to demand something equally as stupid that is against their interests and in the interests of the 1% after Coronavirus. I expected things to change after the financial crash but the 99% weren't bothered and accepted change that made their conditions significantly worse while baling out and then improving the conditions for the 1%. It would be nice to think it will be different this time but unreasonable to expect it.

Snufkin, stephen bennett and AndyU like this.
  3. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

'They' will find us a new enemy and masses will sheepishly follow the tabloid press and online media lead rather than kicking out the 1%

And itll happen, again, and again, and again.

sean99 and deebster like this.
  4. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

I would imagine that New York's Andrew Cuomo would destroy Trump in an election for the next President of the United States following this period.

Given some of the greed and profiteering on display, with luck, this will spell the end of Free Market Economics. That could be something good that comes out of this.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and mega lord like this.
  5. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

As I have been informed (somewhere) a 75% reduction in social contact is required. If that is still the de facto number, I made my point because I believe it looks like social contact has been reduced by at least that amount here. I only make daily face-to-face contact with couriers and the police at the moment, although I made one supermarket visit this morning. The police refuse to touch my documents, and they wear masks and gloves. The couriers are signing their devices for us whilst we watch, we can't touch them. And they are weraing masks and gloves. Supermarket staff are also masked and gloved up and there is a tape barrier at the till stopping you getting too close to them.

So my life is more like 95% reduction in human contact a reasonable guess. And I am out and about working. And I reckon there is maybe a 95% reduction in people out and about.

AndyU likes this.
  6. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

One potential bright side is that the next general election will most likely be fought almost entirely on the need to provide proper public services rather than tax cuts.

Italy has the second highest rated health service on the planet.

We have a system that has been run down with a view to privatisation by successive governments and which has recently lost numerous crucial members of staff on the back the Brexit. Good luck to all - those tax breaks will now cause heart aches. Hopefully it will teach all a lesson.

Snufkin likes this.
  7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

What will be unusual is that All governments will be printing money, so exchange rates won't be under pressure.
    II am already seeing food prices soaring and I suspect food supply is slashed.
    What we will end up with is worldwide inflation (or even hyperinflation) and an end to zero interest rates. A return to the 70s oil shock era.

8. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Sterling is already at an all time low against some Eastern currencies.

I'm not overly surprised to be frank. I have to be honest although I appreciate that having a debate that includes my genuine thoughts (similar to those expressed in the Guardian article above) would lead me to being banned and I have no desire to see that.

You see, all are experiencing now what I and thousands of others, have to live with every day. I hope it gives everyone an appreciation of what it's like for your elderly relatives to be housebound and to rely on PIP payments. I hope, once they decide to up the shutters, you use this experience to make their lives more tolerable.

That would be a good outcome. So, let's hope for more consideration for others as seen elsewhere across the globe, the collapse of free market capitalism across the Western world, and the funding of a world class publicly owned health service becoming the main priority in people's thoughts come election time.

AndyU likes this.
  9. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

On the subject of wealth, the pensioners of today may not be as wealthy as we would wish for them but they are close to the optimum. The youth of today will not have the opportunity of cheap houses to buy and inflation followed by low interest rates, it will be rental for life for most. A greater proportion will have little or no private pension, none of this retiring at 60 for woman and 65 for men, it will be well over the present 66. Oh and did i mention free education.

10. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

The pensioners of today are relatively wealthy?

I am talking about being housebound (which is way worse that worrying about money as hopefully many will find out) and having to live on the £285 a week (which is the income of the median pensioner). They still have to pay the same bills as you and me on 35% of the average salary whilst being confined to their own home, often with a chronic illness of some kind.

If anyone considers that to be an optimum well...I've been saying since the start that we are ruining the lives of generations to come by taking this route so I've always agreed with you on that. I don't think the majority do though Colin so best left there.

As I say, hopefully the public's understanding of life and the free market economy's inequality will improve in the coming weeks. Hopefully we will see a change in the right direction in years to come :)

11. cpg

cpg pfm Member

Any pensioners who survive Covid 19 will find that they can not give their savings and house to their children before they go into a nursing home. The government will look at the financial status of the children and make the children pay for the nursing home costs. This already happens in lots of EU countries.

If you look on the whole Covid 19 issue in a "warped" way then you can find a few positives:
    Pension costs drastically reduced, health care costs significantly reduced (hugely reduced population over 65)
    500000 homes available

12. cpg

cpg pfm Member

There will be lots of job opportunites to work as a nurse or doctor in the health service (the existing ones are being used as cannon fodder!).
    The question is, will the young people want such jobs after they have seen how they are treated by their employer.