1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What musical instrument do you play - 2018i

Discussion in 'music' started by Andrew C!, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Not sure if this is the right place. I’m sure Tony will move it accordingly if needed.

We have threads for all sorts, including what we listen to, and system pictures.

I thought it might be a good idea to see what other forum members play by way of instruments, so here are a couple of photos to start things off:

[​IMG]

Z1 piano. Used for practice at least 90 mins a day.

[​IMG]

Gigging rig version 1: Roland Rd 800 stage piano, and a Novation 61 SL mk 2 controller, plugged into the MBP using Mainstage - the MBP firewired into a Motu 828iii. Sometimes supplement the SL out for an Access Virus Ti synth, but not very often these days...

Big Tabs likes this.
  2. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

I wrestled with a Yamaha tenor on and off for a while, before selling it to someone who could play it, though I got on alright with a cheap alto.
    Just play records and the fool, now ;-)

Andrew C! likes this.
  3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs frequently wrong.

I have a Swanee/Slide whistle, several tambourines, a 'jaw' harp and various other percussion instruments.
    I also have a set of drums.

I would not say that I play anything though, I hit things. The Swanee Whistle is a joy and everyone should have one - cue 'Carry On' film classic swanee whistle moments (is it only me? oo-er missus.)

My daughter plays piano, flute and violin - but I guess that does not count...

Andrew C! likes this.
  4. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

I don't these days, but as a child I used to play on the linoleum.

Andrew C! likes this.
  5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Acoustic, electric and bass guitars, Conn "Artie Shaw" big bore Bflat clarinet, Selmer super balanced action alto sax, penny whistle, bongos and pandemonium:D Or should I say used to.... still have them all but haven't picked up a single one in about 8 months or so to my shame...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Andrew C! likes this.
  6. herb

herb music live

Electric Chicago Blues guitar and classical violin. Sadly I'm very limited these days after breaking both wrists in a motorcycle accident. Oh well I shall keep going to concerts instead. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Big Tabs and Andrew C! like this.
  7. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

Alas no. I have tried, but having a mother and daughter who could/can play most instruments with little effort and no interest in furthering this put me off. Both my brothers could play piano to a good standard, such is life.

Bloss

Andrew C! likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got a surprisingly large collection of musical instruments at the moment as I bought a few guitars (Strat, Les Paul, Jazz Bass) to get a few £k out of crappy Brexit £s and into something more sensible, but they don’t really count. The stuff in constant rotation are my two trusty 1981 Shergold Marathon basses (one with frets, one without), a truly beautiful thru-neck 1978 Yamaha SC1200 guitar and a Moog Voyager synth. I’ve also got a little Steinberger Spirit bass as its so much easier to carry across to Liverpool on public transport the very few occasions my “band” decide to rehearse. It is surprisingly good for the cash and really small for a full-scale bass being little more than the length of the strings.

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that I really, really, really want a Buchla Music Easel, as it is just way more ‘me’ than the Moog, but annoyingly they are crazy expensive and just don’t seem to exist second hand. As such I’m thinking of cashing in the Voyager and the ‘investment’ guitars at some point and taking the plunge!

9. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Moog Voyager! Drool!

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is very good, though just too ‘live performance’ oriented for me. I don’t need presets etc and would far prefer it without them (i.e. knob positions on the panel are always what they indicate). I’m a knob-twiddler/sequencer user, not a “keyboard player” so I think it makes sense to shift it for something more modular. It sounds great though, and if you dig into it the menu-only modulation options, filter etc are way more versatile than a Minimoog (it kind of has two), and the touch-panel thing is a great performance control. I’ve enjoyed owning it, but I think it is getting toward time to move it on.

Andrew C! likes this.
  11. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Learning to work the sax. a. phone. Is hard work. My wife played in a youth band (played at the Albert Hall) and someone gifted her a Selmer Cigar Cutter. Silver plated. Lovely thing. But can I blow a tune? Can I hell. Seriously hard to do. I'm sticking to 6 steel strings stretched over a piece of wood with some metal bits inbeween.

12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I've built up a 'useful' collection of synths over the last 10 years or so:

Hardware:
    Korg MS2000B
    Yamaha AN-1X
    Roland JD-800 (Pretty much the ultimate digital synth for me and will be the last synth I would let go)
    Alesis NanoBass
    Akai SG01V
    Alesis QS-6
    Roland SH-101
    Novation Super BassStation rack
    Novation BassStation 2 (recent reissue of the above)
    Yamaha DX-27
    Roland D-110
    Roland JV-2080
    Roland XV-5080 (expanded with synth, keyboards of the 60s & 70s and Orchestral II boards)
    EMU Proteus 2500
    Korg SQ-1 (poor man's Moog 960 sequencer)
    Assorted FX rack units

Sadly, no Moog.

I also dabble with guitars and have 80s vintage Squier Tele, Tokai Super Strat and a nasty Ovation clone.

I need to start recording again.

stephen bennett and Andrew C! like this.
  13. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Electric Guitar - badly. And air guitar to a high level.

I currently have a nice Yamaha SG2000 for those Santana moments, and a Fender Telecaster Custom '72 for the Keef impersonations.

Andrew C! likes this.
  14. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

La Patrie concert classical guitar
    Gibson songwriter studio acoustic
    Gibson custom modern archtop Electric

Yamaha 9000 drumkit
    Marshal & Rose baby grand piano
    Conn Selmer Sax

I'm a self taught genius :D

Andrew C! likes this.
  15. Arturo

Arturo Member

Piano accordion. The button side looks complicated but is very simple to understand, if somewhat harder to actually play. Dabbling in tango music, as the bandoneon is the devil’s work.

Andrew C! likes this.
  16. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Sadly none , I do own a Yamaha digital piano and a guitar , I just look enviously at them

Andrew C! likes this.
  17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Nineties Sobell guitar in Rio rosewood...Sobell cittern in ebony, various mandolins including a 1919 Gibson and 1920s Radiotone, violins and bows a-plenty, some tasty, a Vintage v1004 spalted bass.
    Other stuff not played so much now for whatever reasons too.

Andrew C! likes this.
  18. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Drum kit in me youf. Tinkered with bongos and congas and had an electronic drum machine which gave hours of fun creating tunes on and occasionally supplemented when playing in the band.
    Basically, another hitter ;)

I think it was some kind of soft rebellion against parents who wouldn't allow to me learn guitar and piano at school :rolleyes:

Andrew C! likes this.
  19. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

I play all saxes, but trying to just play tenor now. far too old to have a baritone sax hanging from my neck for any length of time.

dabble in clarinet and flute, but dont really enjoy them, so try not to touch them.

Doodle around on piano. not really playing tunes. just messing with harmony etc.

couple of nice Altos in this thread.

Super balanced is one of the best altos ever made....sweet !! Lucky man.

Cigar cutter.....lots of folks give this name to Selmer saxes that arent. If yours is original silver, "proper" octave mechanism, serial about 17/18 k then it is a beautiful sax , worth decent money.
    I can help identify if you are unsure, or need help.
    its 85 years old though, and if its on old/tired pads, it will not be at its best.

Andrew C! likes this.
  20. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

clarinet at 3 years, 'graduated' to soprano sax at 4, first public performance at 6.5, played in dance band at 9. Learnt flute at 11, youth orchestra at 13, Dartington Hall performances at 16 and 17, Andover Jazz circle at 19. Played in bands since university, playing folk, jazz and rock. Dabbled with guitar since early '90's, acoustic and electric (Gibson 335 copy). Alto sax since mid '90's.

'Sat in' with many touring bands, including a couple times with Adrian Byron Burns who used to sing in Bill Wyman's 'Rhythm Kings', and many times with Pete Kassell, voted 'Top Jazz Guitarist' at one time. Recently played for local AmDram group and with Ray Beavis, top pro sax player (and cousin!).

I still have my (working) soprano sax I learnt to play on, it is a 1929 Hawkes, before they joined with Boosey!. Also have an alto sax, same make and period, although missing a key, and a Century tenor sax. My alto is a Rosetti, nice. Also have a working soprano sax that used to belong to Ronnie Scott's side man, who was also an instrument technician, so the sax is in 'perfect' condition.

Andrew C! likes this.