1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What sends you leaping for the off switch?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eisenach, Jan 12, 2019.

1. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

For those of you that still do that quaint thing of listening to live radio (I nearly said "the wireless" but that would shew my age and anyway the word has been reappropriated to meaning listening via kilometres of wire to a route, with only the last few metres being wireless), as well as John Humphrys and the Today Programme, obviously, which radio programmes send you diving for the off switch?

A few to start (are there other stations available?):

The Archers theme tune - no comment needed!
    Saturday Live - unbearably smug. Thank God for Radio 3 on a Saturday morning.
    Most of the current crop of 6.30pm comedies (with some notable exceptions, often on a Friday) - I'm probably just too old and victim of the years' long campaigns to attract a younger audience to R4.

Anyone want to add to the list or tell me that they can't wait for Saturday morning on Radio 4 or to find out what Lynda Snell has been up to or what else Brian has got buried at the bottom of the field?

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

The Archers theme tune.
    The Eastenders theme tune.
    The NOW! Show.

The Archers effect is strange. I find it reassuring to know that it's always there, but I would happily throw a brick at my expensive Linn streamer if I'm slow off the mark with the off switch.

Colin L, TheDecameron and gassor like this.
  3. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I'm also getting seriously touchy about BBC Radio 4's repetitive self-advertising.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Any Questions / Any Answers - and just about any phone in.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, zippy and cutting42 like this.
  5. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Mary Anne Hobbs.

Big Tabs and Brown Bottle like this.
  6. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Conservative politicians in general. Diane Abbot. Tony Blackburn. Steve Wright. The Office.

eternumviti likes this.
  7. narabdela

narabdela who?

Jimmy Carr.

eternumviti likes this.
  8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

“Hi, Philip Schofield here.”

eternumviti likes this.
  9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I agree about the "comedies" but most of the other programmes in your list are what I sort of listen to. I say "sort of" because the radio is on all day and I just mentally tune in and out depending on what's on. I miss loads of good stuff. I've gone right of Women's Hour lately. It seems to be nothing but women talking to each other about stuff.

10. Hip-Priest

Hip-Priest Not hip. Not a priest.

Saturday Live - although it's becoming increasingly hard to avoid the ubiquitous Rev. Richard Coles anywhere these days.
    Josie Long's Short Cuts(?)
    Womans Hour
    Increasingly - the news.

11. diybry

diybry pfm Member

Radio 2 Chris Evans. Thankfully he's gone

eternumviti likes this.
  12. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Just need a marksman to take out Steve Wright and Jeremy Whine, sorted.

13. garyi

garyi leave blank

Radio 6 line up right now especially Lauren ‘you love me on twitter’ Lerverne

Brown Bottle likes this.
  14. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Unchallenged brexit mouthpieces on today, particularly Mogg, Gove and Johnson (great name for a firm of shyster lawyers).
    The dire 6.30 comedy slot
    The afternoon play unless it sounds exceptional in the few seconds it takes to reach the off button.

Likes....Melvin "Battle of the Braggs, Melvin versus Billy" Bragg and In our Time...Inheritance Tracks...Desert Island Discs, if there's someone good on...and them Archers.

15. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Mute button in car renamed as the Corbyn button.

16. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

The One Show.

17. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

I don’t actively follow The Archers, but sometimes catch it, most often in omnibus form at the weekend.

It’s very reassuring that it exists, and I’ll always listen it through, regardless that I’m never really up-to-date with the storylines.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    blossomchris and MikeMA like this.
  18. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

eastenders on the box, nothing on the radio, plenty on the internet (but the off switch here is a metorphorical navigating away or ignoring people on fora.)

19. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

The only connect connecting wall (if I were brave enough). Mrs shouts out the answers, writes f*ck all down then claims she was right when answers are revealed!!

20. Kraus

Kraus Member

Something about my daily routines finds me in the kitchen when these come on - and instantly off.
    Woman's Hour
    Gardeners' Question Time (How often is this broadcast?)
    The Archers. I once wrote a review of a digital timer and the delight when it turned off my radio - just as the theme tune started.
    It was (literally, literally) a constant source of amusement.
    Any Questions
    Any Answers - more so
    any phone in
    Saturday Live
    Sunday morning but almost the whole day
    also
    Poetry Please
    Shipping Forecast
    Today - very often
    Desert Island Discs - since Kirsty Young left. Also - depended enormously on 'castaway'.

PM - not so good since Eddie Mair left
    News Quiz seems to be very variable but generally quite weak
    I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue bewilders me by continuing to be fresh - despite being entirely predictable.
    6.30pm comedy - invariably dire