1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of DIY do you do?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by bugbear, Nov 2, 2018.

?

What sort of DIY do you do?

1. Repair

43.1%
  2. Upgrade/Tweak

68.6%
  3. Build from other people's designs

80.4%
  4. Build from own designs

51.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

Reading some of the recent threads on mending nineties Amps...

A question occurred to me, which I present as a poll.

BugBear

2. mark121211

mark121211 pfm Member

Where is the 5th option (all of the above)?

3. narabdela

narabdela who?

How about 'none of the above' ?

Tarzan likes this.
  4. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

I did set the poll to allow clicking more than 1 option :)

BugBear

5. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Much of my diy involves classic computing

6. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

I voted for all of them except repairs. And I hope it stays that way ;)

7. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

Valve, transistor, or IC era?

BugBear

8. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

All sorts, I belong to the shedders at the Jim Austin collection when I can get down and also fiddle at home I have an N8VEM a DEC most of the TRS80’s apple2 bbc b, Archimedes , c64 and some exotic 6809 card based stuff. I’m currently rebuilding a terminal with a mega Arduino doing the keyboard decoding and a raspi emulating a model 1 with a little sync separator to give h and v sync to drive the somewhat ancient video board.

http://www.computermuseum.org.uk/

bugbear likes this.
  9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Strip paint
    Put on paint
    Strip Wallpaper
    Put up wallpaper
    Lay floors
    Simple plumbing

No electronics whatsoever

10. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

If there's a chance to use a powerdrill then I'm there. Bosch!

11. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Do very basic DIY-The Duchess does not let me near DIY which is a touch.:D

12. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Where possible I repair, upgrade Build from scratch and restore all my audio equipment, class this as my hobby.
    All home plumbing and electrical installation, joinery, tiling and building work.
    All welding and fabrication
    Mechanical repairs and servicing of my cars and mechanical equipment and machinary
    Will try and fix anything before I throw it away or replace it
    And I love cooking :D
    Alan

Barrymagrec likes this.
  13. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

I roll my own cigarettes.

On a more serious note, I tweak, or build DIY designs based on PCBs or schematics. I quite enjoy soldering and sourcing components, it's the easy bit.

14. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

I like to think of my system as 100% DIY, however that depends on what level of detail you go down to e.g. I haven't built my own drive units or electronic components. :)
    Most are published designs but some are my own design. I quite enjoy doing pcb designs.
    Sometimes I buy boards off ebay and build something different on them e.g. I built a phono stage on a tone-control pcb. So I suppose that could be called modding. OTOH I long ago gave up adding fancy parts to commercial equipment, as I found that the well designed stuff was hard to genuinely improve and the crap stuff needed totally reworking. It's easier to build from scratch.

I don't generally repair stuff because I don't buy commercial hifi. However, friends bring all sorts of junk round for me to fix :(

15. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I can f--- fight and ride a bike!

16. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Built loads of Avondale stuff', TPX1's/Multicaps, Stage one phono pre-amp, ZAP250 and a nice little amp based on an old Naim NAP120, using the case and the original transformer and one of Les W's NAP110 PSU upgrade modules. Renovated a couple of turntables too (Michell Hydraulic Reference and a Lenco 88).