1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with a broken Benz?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Fretbuzz, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

ACE SL suddenly stopped working on one channel, and local hifi shop checked/confirmed that the coil had gone on one side. Just out or warranty - Doh!

Bought originally from ESCo – they said it would be better value to trade it in for a new one as oppose to repair (considering the price of a re-tip too – est 300 hrs on it so say half or third way there or whatever). They did offer a decent trade-in deal, but I don’t want to go down that path for now and have ordered another, cheaper, cartridge to think on with.

So options are:
    1. Find an alternative, 3rd party, that could re-wire the thing for cheaper. Is this possible?, any suggestions?
    2. Sell it as-is. What would it be worth?
    3. Or, just hang on to it to potentially trade back to ESCo for something in the future...
    4. Any other suggestions?

2. early

early pfm Member

Have you contacted Benz ? , I have found them very approachable and I am sure they would do something for a "just out of warranty" failure .

Rockmeister likes this.
  3. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

Probably best to trade it as having the coils rewound would be expensive. Only worth doing that on something really special in my view.

FWIW, Dom Harper at Northwest Analogue rewound the coils on my Benz Ruby 2 some years ago when I sent it in for a retip. It sounded spectacular when I got it back and Dom and Natalie were rather pleased with how it sounded themselves.

Yomanze likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

By all means try for bit of goodwill, but if Benz can't/won't do anything, I'd go back to ESCo and use the situation to upgrade. I had a lovely Ebony and I gather the Wood is a very popular cart. Buying a 'stand-in' cart. and/or waiting to find a cheaper job doesn't sound much like progress to me. Yes, lowish hours is a pity; anyway, good luck with Benz.

5. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Can you trade it for a BMW?

Fretbuzz likes this.
  6. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

300 hours?

7. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Thanks for the replies.

No. I took ESCo's word in saying with the cost of sending it Benz for re-winding etc it would be better to trade in, but I guess there's no harm in asking directly. Don't know why I never thought of it.

Yeah, I checked with Dom, thanks. The cost (est. £700-800) for their over hall and re-tip would, I'm sure, make it a fantastic cart, but it's just more than I'm able/willing to spend on it right now (house renovation underway and other things coming up).

I'll try, cheers. Didn't explain the 'stand-in' bit properly really: I've ordered an AN IQ1 and will live with that a while, giving the option of upgrading to the IQ2/3 if it fits well. I've heard IQ3s before and they were fantastic. I see the Benz as one to pass on or maybe re-invest in down the line, depending.

Yup. Not exact, but a calculated estimate. Why do you ask?

8. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Sorry to hear you have only got 300hrs use. The only option I can see is to keep the Benz and trade it in at a later date, the only person who would buy, is someone who wants to purchase a new Benz and would be able to trade it in. I have an AT 33ptg with only one channel working, nearly new but collecting dust in a draw. Hope you enjoy your new AN IQ1.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If it has failed unrelated to any incident/accident, i.e. due to manufacturing defect, then surely the statutory six year UK consumer law protection is worth mentioning? It is a very expensive device and sould be expected to last for far more than 300 hours IMHO. I’d suck it up if I’d broken the cantilever, knocked the tip off or whatever (and I have done in the past!), but if a channel drops out that is a wiring/coil/generator issue and a manufacturering defect to my mind. I’d float the idea anyway...

10. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Apologies...I misread the OP as saying the repair would be 300 hours work! I can be very dumb sometimes.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  11. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Interesting thought, thanks Tony. Will look in to that one!

Cheers - will report back on the IQ1 fwiw.

Ha, indeed - that would have been an expensive repair job!

12. Chefren

Chefren pfm Member

The trade-in price for a Benz is I think 30% of a new one when traded in to the same or more expensive model. So a £1000 cart would be worth £300 even if the cart cost only £800 back when you bought it.

Disclaimer: please verify this information from somewhere else, I have an ACE SL with a dead suspension and I've kept it in case I want to get another Benz in the future. But I think that was how it works.

Also consumer protection might state that you have the right to expect more life than 300h regardless of warranty. That only leaves the problem though that how do you prove 300h is actually true?

13. treeswampy

treeswampy Well-Known Member

Less than 300 Hrs is shocking. I have had a couple of carts go back to the manufacturer complaining of a maufacturing defect. Proving it is impossible though if they disagree and do not mind adverse publicity.

14. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Indeed - was only my estimate, but won't be significantly off. Also have to take it on my word it never received any knocks etc (which it didn't).

Been away for a bit but will contact Benz today and see what they say. Thanks.