1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Where am I going wrong

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matt j, Apr 20, 2018.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

For work purposes I quite often have to enter a Wheterspoons establishment, this morning I happened to be in one at 10:15am and the place was packed with drinkers already well into either their first or second pint.

Driving around in the afternoon between various jobs and every beer garden was packed from 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30 etc. and has been since Weds.

What am I doing wrong and who are all these people that can spend all day in the pub?

Jammy gits.

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Not me, and have never been a fan of afternoon drinking. But yeah, have they all thrown a sickie?

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

God knows, Tony. It was a mixture of folk, young/old, male/female- no pattern except for them being well into their first or second drink. One bloke was on the gin!

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Good luck to them.

I suppose.

5. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

They will all die of liver disease, so sit back & not worry :D
    Your missing nothing.

6. garyi

garyi leave blank

Over here in andover these people tend to swap between the weatherspoons and the bookies.

Mr Cat likes this.
  7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

You're

;)

Martyn Miles and Mike Reed like this.
  8. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

You would think, after 10 years at Oxford, my grammar would have improved, ahem o_O

Mike Reed and Tony Lockhart like this.
  9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

When I next have some time off I think I might go and live like the other half for a day- queueing up at 'Spoons door waiting for them to open, three pints with a full English breakfast then drink through until dinner and have some more food then carry on until I can't stand up and need to be wheelbarrowed home.

It's the way forward.

10. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

You can also put it down to a change in working habits in the UK, 9 to 5 jobs are a thing of the past for many, so the roll out of people at different times will seem to create a society with nothing more to do but drink themselves silly, I often used to go for a pint when I worked from 8 to 6 at lunchtime.

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Being "wheelbarrowed" means something else in my world.

linnfomaniac83 and fatmarley like this.
  12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Lucky to have a job where you can drink during working hours.

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Plenty of people in the aviation world do 'four on, four off' shifts, with the four on being two earlies, two lates, so I suppose they could be in the mood for a right ol skinful if the shift ends well. It'd take me four days to recover though :(

Pete MB&D likes this.
  14. robs

robs pfm Member

I work from home and so at 4pm (Friday after all!) I was sat out in the garden in the sun with a beer. Lovely.
    I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do that.
    A couple of weeks ago I was still hard at work at 8pm on Friday (by choice, no particular deadline to beat).
    The world is a' changin', but pints before noon is not going to do anyone any good, and should not be aspired to - you're not going wrong.

Unless you're at the cricket of course.

15. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

Changing times and work patterns. A lot of people these days can choose where and where and when they want to do their work and probably choose not to in the middle of a sunny day. More roles are purely performance/results related and there's no requirement to complete the task during normal hours.

16. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

Some folk still work shifts, often with "weekends" in the middle of the week. I often start an "evening" with workmates at 10am in weatherspoons but generally with a full brekky and tea. Mostly can't remember much after that!

17. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Judging by some recent performances the England cricket team would do well to lay off the pre-lunchtime booze as well.

18. robs

robs pfm Member

Ouch!

Fair comment though....:D

19. Salamander

Salamander Well-Known Member

Well I'll hold my hand up and admit I popped in my local Wetherspoons at 9.15am for a breakfast and one pint, thoroughly enjoyed and only £5.69.

Snufkin likes this.
  20. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Yes folks there are still night workers out there who fancy a brekkie or pint at the end of a shift - nothing that odd really..... (I'm not one of them BTW)