1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Where has it all gone wrong?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by PhilofCas, Feb 11, 2019.

1. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

2. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Utterly depressing. I've just watched a piece on BBC news about the dramatic increase in child poverty. They highlighted a working single mother who has just £20 a week to spend on food for her and her daughter.

PhilofCas likes this.
  3. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

That’s terrible. She really needs to buck her ideas up. ;)

HarryB likes this.
  4. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Very sad that society is letting this happen, wish I knew the answer to this madness.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  5. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

Supply and demand capitalism at its very best lol

6. avole

avole A wise man reflects

I'd be happier if they had a scheme whereby for each transfer, a lucky punter/fan could sit on the bench for one week for every transfer they forecast correctly, and be paid, tax free the same fee as the player they had selected.

All the top European Leagues could participate.

7. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Me too. I find it bewildering that the people who contribute most to society and who we need to have a decent community are all underpaid and overworked.

Look no further than the NHS. Doctors and nurses stretched to breaking point and paid crap money. Social workers on peanuts. Teachers leaving the profession in droves.

8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Then you had better not look at what Messi gets.

PhilofCas likes this.
  9. avole

avole A wise man reflects

You miss the point, highly paid footballers/sports stars are vital for any deeply flawed society. They help us not to see what life is really like for the majority in any society

lazycat and sean99 like this.
  10. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Yeah, you're right. I was reminded of the link between deeply flawed footballers and our deeply flawed society only today when I cycled past the new house of paedophile footballer Adam Johnston. Builders have been in there for weeks and it looks like they're cleaning up now and the job is finished.

I can only assume he's due out of prison soon.

PhilofCas likes this.
  11. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

I agree that footballers get paid a lot but so do many others:

https://www.investopedia.com/insights/highest-paid-uk-ceos/

Martin Sorrell earns £923,000* a week

*My source is just this website and that was the first that came up when I searched on-line for high earners. So no fact checking as such but reports of high salaries often come from sources we are not able to easily check.

12. Borntorun

Borntorun Member

I agree with everything said, but wont he be on a high tax bracket, so at least 45% of that said amount would be going into the public purse?

13. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Honestly cannot see an issue with this, the players entertain the public, the clubs make the millions, why shouldn't he have his share.
    The comment above about child poverty is ludicrous, I imagine there are are a few here who could not only house a few desperate kids but could comfortably see them through life, you can't compare such things.

Joe, gintonic and Peter McDermott like this.
  14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Just watched a piece on a news magazine programme about an imminent closure of a homeless people's soup kitchen. They interviewed a homeless person who had just been given a new sleeping bag, because his old one had got so wet through it was useless. He was setting off back to his tent. He said the biggest problem he had was scraping together the £37 per month he needed for his insulin. FFS, this homeless, destitute person has to pay for his own prescriptions. How the **** have we got to this?

HarryB likes this.
  15. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

As long as enough people pay enough for pay-per-view to watch people chase a ball around a field, etc., there will be enough to pay for these lavish lifestyles. Personally I think all spectator sports are a nonsense but apparently I'm in a minority.

Sport is great if you can participate though!

mykel, Snufkin, Covkxw and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

I find it an insult to those suffering to link this thread with poverty, as I see it, if clubs are making billions, why should those who actually take part in the sport not see a fair chunk of it.

Could you afford to give half you wages to home the homeless & still live a decent life, if yes, then why don't you, this kind of comparing I find quite disingenuous & has zero to do with the ills of society at present, we all know precisely why we have the poverty issue in this country |& some guy earning big bucks playing football is not the problem.

Bob McC and Borntorun like this.
  17. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Worst of all is that Bet 365 woman who paid herself the best part of quarter of a billion last year. She’s a complete parasite and I can’t imagine the misery she’s caused in exploiting gambling addicts all over the country. She’s now planning on expanding into the US.

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The thread title is 'where has it all gone wrong?' Assuming it is about football rather than inequality is your take on it, not mine.

HarryB and Covkxw like this.
  19. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

The compensation seems reasonable. The guy plays a game that involves a ball. It's not as though everyone can play a game with a ball.

[​IMG]

Joe

Mr Cat likes this.
  20. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

That poor lad is underpaid for what he does. I'll raise his pay by a tenner a week instantly if he joins Everton.